Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,831   Posts: 1,582,302   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Refrigerating ILFOCHROME paper?

I have two boxes of Ilfochrome paper released just before the discontinuation was announced; 1 x 12"x16", and 1 x 8"x10" unopened. I also have an opened box of 8"x10" paper. The unopened materials have been stored in a cool, dry place but not at under 10ºC. The Ilfochrome data sheet http://www.ilford.com/media/53862/cps_clm.pdf suggests allowing paper to warm to room temperature before opening, however I've often been nervous of storing paper in a fridge due to concerns over condensation and moisture; as the paper is not completely sealed in the box.

If I were to refrigerate the paper as I'm most likely not going to use it in the next few weeks are there any extra precautions worth taking, e.g. Ziplock bags etc?

Tom

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The freezer is the dryest place in house...

Ice will only form on the sides of the freezer, or when one scrapes those sides. Condensation will only form when taking that paper of the freezer.

Use a somehoe sealed watertight envelope, try to include as little air as possible. Wait some hours before freezing.
    (Aside of adding silica-gel,) That's the best one could do.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I always used ziplocks and the freezer and never had moisture issues. Like Agx says just don't open it till it warms up to room temp.

However it's probably already shifted on you in 2 years so you might as well test a couple sheets before wasting your time and thinking its going to be there when you need it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    What if I have some Cibichrome paper... (Unopened 8x10 package) is there any point in storing it?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ciba keeps rather poorly if not stored cold - highlights start to crossover in a matter of months. I don't really know just how long it is stable frozen. Guess I'll find out when I finally thaw my last box. Somebody like Chris Burkett who still makes his living with this might know - he's certainly gambling on it staying good awhile.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    He doesn't have a box of Cibichrome anyway. In my experience Ilfochrome's lifepspan is not that impressive even frozen. A few years certainly but probably not 10 or 15.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Ciba keeps rather poorly if not stored cold - highlights start to crossover in a matter of months. I don't really know just how long it is stable frozen. Guess I'll find out when I finally thaw my last box. Somebody like Chris Burkett who still makes his living with this might know - he's certainly gambling on it staying good awhile.
    Well then mine is certainly no good at all... it came to me by chance when someone offered me a cheap enlarger for free, I said sure, it was REALLY cheap, I shortly after got a nice D2 but anyway the box had some ciba chem measure cups and a book on ciba and then a package of 8x10 paper (with some Kodak RC paper too that was WAY old I'm sure none of it is any good)... I figured it was no good... but wanted to ask, this confirms it, maybe I'll sell it on ebay (honestly of course) some Lomo person will want it for experiments or something.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    What a pitiful loss of such a great process. Sickening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone- Cut it into 4x5 sheets, and shoot it in your new camera.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Stone- Cut it into 4x5 sheets, and shoot it in your new camera.
    haha, and how do you propose I develop the paper... since it's Cibichrome? LOL

Honestly I'm just so done with old film/paper, etc, it was fun for the past year I've been doing all sorts of experiments, learned how to do a lot of fun stuff, but ultimately I want to be shooting more current dated film. I also don't have a darkroom at all so I use a changing bag, imagine trying to cut paper in a changing bag... not a tent, a bag... ugh the nightmare! I don't enjoy that part at all, some do, I don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin