Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,089   Online: 964

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My late sister used only Italian made C41 film with excellent results.

I remember how poor Kodak E4 films were in comparison to Fuji's a lot can cange in a small space of time, Kodak almost caught up with their E6 films.

Ferrania said in an email (to me) they'd make LF if needed as well. What if they partner with a more technologicall advance company it's not unknown. Ilford worked with Fuji (Fuji using Ilford technology & coating for some films), Fuji work with Foma (they have a joint facility).

Both Foma and Ilford have very good worldwide distribution, Kodak's is poor except for consumer Minilab operations.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, The more I look the more I like. The first page I saw did't have too many "good" scans. I have looked through several pages now and I see a higher percentage of "keepers" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Within the limits of the scans, etc., there's some nice, and well-seen, shots on there.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    A little harsh, considering we're down to one E6 producer (plus the repacked Agfa aerial stuff which, with respect to the company concerned, hasn't yet been established as an ongoing reliable product), we might be glad that someone has enough faith to at least try to reintroduce an option. And it doesn't follow that any new Ferrania product will be the same as 20 odd years ago?

(And, actually, it would be rather nice if the Orwo factory was still in production rather than being a big area of waste ground. )
    Agreed. We should see how will the product be, most probably derived from their old formulas but perhaps they are reformulating heavily in the R&D they mention. I am very curious about their E6 100 intention. The statement from Nicola (he leads the endeavor) is that they will be basing this film on their last iteration of Ferrania Chrome film, which was just Scotchcrome and 3M.
    I might agree that if we lose Fujichrome, the alternative(s) will be some generations behind in tech.

As of Orwo, aren't they a company called "Filmotec" and selling MP B&W stock?

OT but a curious topic; Following Links reading Thom's mirrorless site and stumped upon an article about m4/3 and its future. Basically talks about how digital camera sales aren't those expected and might decline. Seems like it's possible for Olympus and Panasonic to quit the market... It is rather amusing, not only film is in danger of discontinuation.

There is another (long) thread about ferrania, mods could merge this one into the other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I don't consider this good news I used Ferrania E6 slide films 20 odd years ago and they were crap almost as bad as ORWO, not in the same ball park as Kodak and Fuji.
    GM cars sucked 20 years ago. Do they still suck today?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is already a longer thread going on this issue:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...on-2014-a.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While this is potentially very good news, especially for E6 and if either are available in sheets, I'd like to see a faster E6 film now that Provia 400x is going away. I'm stocking up as I can afford - I really like that film. It's amazingly good for a 400 speed slide film. While I'm sure it would be hard to match, even a film a bit grainier would be ok if we can get just a "pretty good" slide film in 200 or, preferably, 400. 100 is just too slow for shooting outdoors handheld with reasonable F stops in shade or cloudy days. I was faced with that Sunday. I'd shot up the roll of 400X I had loaded, though I had another but didn't. All I had was E100G, which I like a lot but trying to photograph a picnic in deep shade I was getting shutter speeds of 1/30th and less wide open on my Vivitar 28-105 f/2.8-3.5 lens. That's just...not enough. Even one more stop to 200 would be most welcome. 200 is actually a very fine all around speed. I'm surprised there aren't more 200 films.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    While this is potentially very good news, especially for E6 and if either are available in sheets, I'd like to see a faster E6 film now that Provia 400x is going away. I'm stocking up as I can afford - I really like that film. It's amazingly good for a 400 speed slide film. While I'm sure it would be hard to match, even a film a bit grainier would be ok if we can get just a "pretty good" slide film in 200 or, preferably, 400. 100 is just too slow for shooting outdoors handheld with reasonable F stops in shade or cloudy days. I was faced with that Sunday. I'd shot up the roll of 400X I had loaded, though I had another but didn't. All I had was E100G, which I like a lot but trying to photograph a picnic in deep shade I was getting shutter speeds of 1/30th and less wide open on my Vivitar 28-105 f/2.8-3.5 lens. That's just...not enough. Even one more stop to 200 would be most welcome. 200 is actually a very fine all around speed. I'm surprised there aren't more 200 films.
    I agree, I really like 200, but true 200 not the kind that says 200 but is really 125, like some 400's you have to rate at 320 etc.

It's a great compromise between grain and speed.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post

As of Orwo, aren't they a company called "Filmotec" and selling MP B&W stock?
    Yes, the Orwo name is carried on in a small way....I'm sure that I've seen some examples of the MP stock used for still work around the web.

I have some 1980's catalogues and leaflets from the old Orwo ("VEB Filmfabrik Wolfen")...remarkable how many different products, including obscure sizes, which they manufactured, and it could never have been profitable in the long term. It was probably a case of communist thinking "we've always done it this way, why rock the boat".

Shooter
    35mm
    Orwo (ORiginal WOlfen) is still made at Wolfen, Germany, by Filmotec GmbH. They will happily sell you Orwo UN54 (100 ISO) or N74+ (400 ISO) in 35mm or 16mm in 100ft, 400ft or 1000ft cans.
    The website: http://www.filmotec.de/?page_id=353&lang=en
    For the USA, Orwona sells directly from their website: http://www.orwona.com/b-w-motion-picture-camera-films/

Samples of N74+ on Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=orwo+N74%2B
    Last edited by Ricardo Miranda; 08-01-2013 at 08:17 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added info
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    Orwo (ORiginal WOlfen) is still made at Wolfen, Germany, by Filmotec GmbH. They will happily sell you Orwo UN54 (100 ISO) or N74+ (400 ISO) in 35mm or 16mm in 100ft, 400ft or 1000ft cans.
    The website: http://www.filmotec.de/?page_id=353&lang=en
    For the USA, Orwona sells directly from their website: http://www.orwona.com/b-w-motion-picture-camera-films/

Samples of N74+ on Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=orwo+N74%2B
    All sold out, dont know if in production.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin