Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,137   Online: 1092

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format
    ANY E-6 film is better than Kodak E-6.

Simply because there is no such thing as Kodak E-6 film anymore.

Don't complain comparing a live film to a ghost of the past.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

I remember how poor Kodak E4 films were in comparison to Fuji's a lot can cange in a small space of time, Kodak almost caught up with their E6 films.
    I remember E-4 Ektachrome being bluish and E-4 Fujichrome having overdone colors. I preferred Fuji over Ekta. But I thought the class act in E-4 was Agfachrome. Natural colors, well balanced. Creamy whites.
    I've recently mistaken some of my Agfachrome slides for Kodachrome-- their color has held up very well. My E-4 Fujichrome has been fading- mainly yellow, making the famous Fuji greens look muddy. I only bought E-4 films when I was too broke to afford Kodachrome, (around half the cost, with processing) and for that used Agfachrome after I 'discovered' it. The only thing I didn't like was its graininess, but back then nothing compared to Kodachrome in that regard, especially K25.

I'l try the Ferrania if it comes out. I don't know how the last E-6 films were from them as I never tried them.
    Last edited by lxdude; 08-01-2013 at 01:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Yes, the Orwo name is carried on in a small way....I'm sure that I've seen some examples of the MP stock used for still work around the web.

I have some 1980's catalogues and leaflets from the old Orwo ("VEB Filmfabrik Wolfen")...remarkable how many different products, including obscure sizes, which they manufactured, and it could never have been profitable in the long term. It was probably a case of communist thinking "we've always done it this way, why rock the boat".

Back in those days all major manufacturers had a wide gamma of film products. I doubt whether back then all products of the western manufacturers were profitable either. Their idea was to be able to serve all wishes by one source.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Back in those days all major manufacturers had a wide gamma of film products. I doubt whether back then all products of the western manufacturers were profitable either. Their idea was to be able to serve all wishes by one source.
    I'm sure that you're correct. I still have a stock of Orwo B&W in my freezer and use a roll from time-to-time. I even have a few of their 35mm B&W reversal films, just waiting for the right subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    GM cars sucked 20 years ago. Do they still suck today?
    Ford was the same way, and today they notch up better build quality than even Lexus.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I remember E-4 Ektachrome being bluish and E-4 Fujichrome having overdone colors. I preferred Fuji over Ekta. But I thought the class act in E-4 was Agfachrome. Natural colors, well balanced. Creamy whites.
    I've recently mistaken some of my Agfachrome slides for Kodachrome-- their color has held up very well. My E-4 Fujichrome has been fading- mainly yellow, making the famous Fuji greens look muddy. I only bought E-4 films when I was too broke to afford Kodachrome, (around half the cost, with processing) and for that used Agfachrome after I 'discovered' it. The only thing I didn't like was its graininess, but back then nothing compared to Kodachrome in that regard, especially K25.

I'l try the Ferrania if it comes out. I don't know how the last E-6 films were from them as I never tried them.

Yes Agfachromes were way better than Kodak E3/4 but it was their own process and quite different to E3/4, and they did eventually switch to E6.

Of all my slides the early Kodachromes have faded the most but then they are the oldest going back to the mid 1950's. KII was a touch better, K25 seem very much better.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you project them much?

Kodachrome is generally very stable and resistant to dark fading, but badly susceptible to light fading. This was one reason people used to make Ektachrome dupes for projection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes Agfachromes were way better than Kodak E3/4 but it was their own process and quite different to E3/4, and they did eventually switch to E6.
    Noted. Thanks for that.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format

Of all my slides the early Kodachromes have faded the most but then they are the oldest going back to the mid 1950's. KII was a touch better, K25 seem very much better.

Ian
    Was Afgachrom differnt from Ansco/Gaf film and process? I am shooting Ansco 200 that had been frozen and I have GAF kits, the GAF process seems to be more like E4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ferrania has been around for a long time. They made a lot of the house branded color film (both negative and reversal) in the 70s though 90s, although they existed earlier. In Europe, they also distributed film under there own name. I think they were the ones who made 3M's film. Quality was considerably worse than Kodak, but price was a good deal less, too.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin