Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,309   Online: 851

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybuzaid View Post
    I want to force expire some film quickly. Don't worry it's not expensive film (Kodak Gold). Anybody know what's best I thought of sticking it through the dryer, or in the toaster oven. Anybody know what's best?
    I'm don't really shoot expired film but my thinking is that you should pull the development or overexpose the film. Pulling I believe reduces contrast and color saturation and I would expect that to happen with expired film.

But more importantly, what effect are you after? You can control the grain and contrast with pushing and pulling and if you want weird colors then cross-process.
    Michael | tumblr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    You are assuming the film is 35mm. The OP never said, for all we know it could be 120mm or sheet film.
    But he did say it is Kodak Gold.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are assuming the film is 35mm. The OP never said, for all we know it could be 120mm or sheet film.
    You're also assuming we don't just want to see flames in a microwave and the aging of the film is of secondary concern...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Leave it in a hot car for a couple of days. Put it in your attic for a few days. Microwaving it will likely do nothing as the actual film is in a metal can. Faraday shielding will prevent the actual microwave energy to get to the film. Besides, there's very little water to actually heat up.

You don't want it so hot that it'll melt though. So oven is out.
    Plenty of organic chemicals absorb microwaves and thus heat up.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak GOLD (which OP has said) is a 35mm film. I *think* it was available in something else long time ago but those has aged all on its own. So I think I assumed right....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    You're also assuming we don't just want to see flames in a microwave and the aging of the film is of secondary concern...

It's also true, OP didn't exactly say how he wanted the film to "expire...".... Flame will certainly *expire* it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Plenty of organic chemicals absorb microwaves and thus heat up.

YES! Metal in certain length will also resonate with the microwave energy and dissipate as heat. But will film do THAT? I've "cooked" photographic paper once in microwave. It did absolutely nothing. I guess this calls for an experiment! Muahahaha.... (mad scientist cap on) I've exploded fish once in a microwave. Boy that was messy.... but I guess that's not related to this topic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why?
    Why?
    Why?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Why?
    Why?
    Why?
    Maybe to avoid the high price of buying expired film on ebay? Or did you mean why explode fish in microwave ovens?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Put it in your car's glove box, a greenhouse, on a hot windowsill or a heater/radiator/your central heating boiler for a few months.
    testing...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin