Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,019   Online: 770

Shooter
    Medium Format

re-washing colour neg film

Hello everyone,

I shoot 120 and develop my black and white film at home but send my colour to a local lab. Often it comes back less flat than I would like. I'm not talking about film curl or significant/severe kinks. Rather the film has small waves throughout its surface. Not sure if I'm describing that correctly but I hope so. In any event, I'm wondering if I can just re wash and rehang the film at home, and whether or not that might help film flatness/smoothness. If so could I just wash it in water with a little bit of photoflo, like b/w film?

thanks in advance!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Substitute Photoflo by current final rinse for colour materials.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay thanks. and do you think that will reset the film as it were (ie get rid of any kinks)?

Shooter
    35mm
    Might help, but not if the film base is damaged/strained....you can only give it a try and see what happens, perhaps with a less important film.

If this happens regularly, you ought to take it up with the lab (or change labs). I also wonder if the "waves" might be some strain from faulty winding in a particular camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    okay thanks. I don't think I can blame the camera - my b/w negs are fine, and the slide film (which gets sent to a lab far away) comes back fine too.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't do it honesty. Unless there's something to actually wash off, rewashing usually causes more problems than it helps. Why not just let the film be as it is? The waviness won't hurt anything.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin