Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,008   Online: 864

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format
    I was shooting mostly my wife's generic Minolta 35mm Point and Shoot. It took OK pictures.

On occasion I would drag out my Olympus OM-1 but we were too active at that time to worry about photo gear.

Grab and go was the theme of the day.

I always bought Kodak color film at the drugstore/supermarket and got upset if my wife or daughters bought Fuji!

Looking back at the old negatives now, the Kodak actually did hold up better over time.

Cheap 1-hour mini-labs where popping up everywhere and their processing and prints have NOT held up over time. The stuff I sent out to Kodak labs for processing and prints is still beautiful even today. Especially the prints.

I sure wish we could get color lab prints on that same paper! The stuff was perfect - not like the sh** (er.. junk) of today.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    (1) Top most-used camera?

Busch Pressman D with 120 film back. My Wista 45sp didn't come until 1989.

(2) Top most-used color film?

Oh gosh-maybe Fujichrome 100? If they made that then? I also shot some Extrachrome. A few polaroids.

(3) Top most-used paper?

Oriental Seagull, Kodak Elite

(4) B&W enlarger w/ color pack, dichro color enlarger, or somethine else? - Bonus points if you can you remember the model!

Omega DII with cold light head with 162mm Raptar, IIRC

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Let's see in 1988 I didn't have a darkroom--I had one from 1973-1985. I would have been shooting Kodachrome in my F3HP using a 24mm f/2.8 or and 85mm f/2.0. Occasionally I would shoot Tri-X but it was killing me to not be able to process my own film.

Shooter
    35mm
    In 1988? At that time I only have a Minolta SR-t 101 with a 28mm a 50mm and a 70-210mm zoom. I bought the whole set for $45. I was broke at the time. Don't have any other equipment. I started to buy equipment in 1977 and my first camera was a Nikon F2AS and then I added the EM and the F3HP and then the Olympus XA. I got the Beseler 23CII with the dichroic head and use Kodak ektacolor paper and EP2 chemistry. I managed an 1 hr lab in 1983 so I do most of my processing there and only the enlargement at home. In 1984 my F2AS got stolen and I sold the Olympus XA to a co-worker who never paid me. I went broke in 1985 so I sold all of my equipment then. I used the Minolta SRT way until 2002 when I bought the Nikon F5 and then several others after that.

Shooter
    35mm
    In 1988 my primary color film was ECN 5247, ISO 100. I began transitioning to ECN 5297, ISO 250 that year. I used a Canon F-1n and a pair of FTbs.

Shooter
    35mm
    In 1988 I was 18 and dreaming of ever being a photographer. Today I dreaming of being a good photographer. I am closer than ever :-) big gap in between. I built my first darkroom last year. I used a Minolta 35mm from my dad back then. dont remember the model. I still have the filters I bought for that 55mm lens. I got my first 1-megapixel camera in 1998 I think. Today I shoot both film and digital. still loving film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    (1) Nikon FTN I bought in 1970
    (2) Kodachrome
    (3) Kodak Medalist (not for color, of course)
    (4) Durst 606

The film and paper are no longer available, but the Nikon and the Durst are still going strong!
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Minolta slr (not sure of the model number). It was my first camera that I bought just after high school. Eventually got a Sigma tele zoom and a used wide angle lens. Still have it in my basement, but I haven’t used it in years. Not sure if it still works. I shot mostly slide film (Kodak, Fuji) in those days, and was starting BW. I was able to borrow my uncle's enlarger and some basic gear to start a darkroom in my parent's laundry room. I shot whatever BW film I could get and printed on Kodak and Ilford paper. It was a very exciting experimental stage in my life and I still have fond nostalgic memories of the camera stores I went to to buy my supplies.
    Doug.

Shooter
    35mm
    1988 was my last year in the Navy, and my one and only camera was a Minolta X-570 with a motor drive and the awesome Minolta 35-70mm f3.5 lens. I still have the lens but the body was sold, and the motor drive conked out after 20 years. At the time I was in love with Kodak Gold 200 film. I still think it's one of the best films around, in its latest incarnation, although now I prefer Fuji Superia 200 because it scans so darn nice. Labs did all my printing and I had no darkroom of any kind.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by skystrick View Post
    Just curious to see how much the last 25 years has changed the field of photography...

Just for fun!

Okay, back in 1988, what were you using for:
    (1) Top most-used camera?
    (2) Top most-used color film?
    (3) Top most-used paper?
    (4) B&W enlarger w/ color pack, dichro color enlarger, or somethine else? - Bonus points if you can you remember the model!

If 1988's too specific, we can just say "the 1980s". :-)
    [1] Canon AE-1

[2] Fujichrome's ASA 100 slide film - 1988 is several years before Sensia was introduced, but I'd long been a fan of Fujichrome's color rendition [Fuji started marketing its film in the U.S. around the same time I got my first SLR, a Canon FTb-QL, in 1971, and I learned along the way that setting the camera to ASA 125 increased saturation on the final image]. For those times when I shot print film, it was either Kodak or Fuji ASA 80 or 100 [Kodacolor/Fujicolor ???], which leads to:

[3] Like several others responding to this question, whatever paper provided by the lab I used for processing. I don't know exactly when I started using York Photo Labs on a regular basis, and I know I didn't send much to Mystic until some time in the 1990s.

[4] None. The only time I tried self-processing prints was while on overseas duty with the Army in Korea during 1966: I was assigned to Headquarters Company of the 51st Signal Battalion, and our photo section held after-hours developing and printing sessions. I borrowed another fellow's Yashica Lynx 5000 to shoot up a roll of either Pan X or Tri X, then developed and printed it. The Photo NCOIC told me my prints were muddy, and re-did a few to show me how much better they could look. From that point on, I left enlarging and printing to those with a better handle on the mechanics of those operations.

Thanks and regards,
    Vince

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin