Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,428   Online: 714

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not Fuji that is killing the film, but the retailers! This has been known for a long time now and is commonplace. The wholesale price is close to $20, a reasonable addition might be $5.00 on top of that, but no. How do you explain an additional $23 on top of getting it in for $20 at the retail end?
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dont mean to sound stupid, but what about Sensia? Last time I was in the film store, I saw loads of Sensia (cant recall that ISO value). Is this film still in production or is it old stock? I thought Provia was the last transparency film left but now I'm confused.

How does Sensia compare to Provia? I never shot this film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In one of very few comparisons I will make, Sensia 100 was a lot like Kodachrome with a naturally flavoured palette tied to an agreeable contrast. You could swing it from people to landscape to night to sunset/sunrise and it would deliver. I used it for my overseas travel to Norfolk Island in the South Pacific in 1994 and again in 1997, but then dropped it off in favour of Velvia. Sensia has no relationship to Provia. There is no sign of Sensia here in Australia but then I'm not game to ask what's stuffed in the far back of dealer fridges, simply because I no longer go to retail dealers.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    It's not Fuji that is killing the film, but the retailers! This has been known for a long time now and is commonplace. The wholesale price is close to $20, a reasonable addition might be $5.00 on top of that, but no. How do you explain an additional $23 on top of getting it in for $20 at the retail end?
    A 20% margin (aka a 25% markup) is a great way to go out of a retail business quick unless you have very quick turnover.

B & H can probably do it. Most smaller stores probably cannot.

A $20 wholesale cost is the problem.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    A 20% margin (aka a 25% markup) is a great way to go out of a retail business quick unless you have very quick turnover.

I think I've mentioned it before, but my local lab used to buy his Velvia from the fuji dealer, they wanted $20/roll of 135-36 *Wholesale*.
    He now buys it over the internet like the rest of us, pays $10 a roll and re-sells it for $15. Of course, I just buy it over the net and skip the middleman, but the local lab is very useful when I need something and realise the freezer is empty (which, actually, is fairly often, so he still gets good business out of me).

I just checked Japanexposures, they've got Provia 400X for $16/135-36 in packs of 5 or 20, I've never bought from them so I don't know how cheap is their shipping.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I dont mean to sound stupid, but what about Sensia? Last time I was in the film store, I saw loads of Sensia (cant recall that ISO value). Is this film still in production or is it old stock? I thought Provia was the last transparency film left but now I'm confused.

How does Sensia compare to Provia? I never shot this film.
    I wish it were still available here but Sensia has been discontinued for a long time. What you were seeing is remaining stock. My favorite E6 film was Astia. Lovely stuff - long gone. So's Sensia. All that's left new is Velvia (in two speeds) and Provia 100. The 400x is also just remaining stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

Well a $20 wholesale price is common on myriad small photographic products in retail, it is not restricted to film. I think the wholesale price on cable releases must be something like $45; most cost more than $80 to $90 here, which is quite extravagant for something made in China...
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well a $20 wholesale price is common on myriad small photographic products in retail, it is not restricted to film. I think the wholesale price on cable releases must be something like $45; most cost more than $80 to $90 here, which is quite extravagant for something made in China...
    I'm not necessarily saying that the importers/distributors are wrong charging the retailers $20.00, if their costs are also high. It is quite likely though that their costs per unit are lower than the retailers' costs, as they are likely to have less need for inventory, their rents would be lower, their staffing costs would be lower, etc. - all of which lead to less of a need for markup.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Whoa! There was a German company that made and sold their cable releases. They had numerous models and for 20€ you got a quite good 50cm release.

I haven't analysed this but TIP instant film seems to be +- at the same price around. I haven't looked outside Europe but here it's about 20€, a pro shop added 3€ more for it. That for PX680 600 film. So TIP and the retailers sell at the same price.

Being a huge corporation that is Fuji, with the small division of film. I don't know if they could (to put it better: want) to fix a price for each of the film product.
    As of "wanting to kill film"; Henning Serger posted something about a viable market for reversal S8 & 16mm just that it was rather small. It is fullfilled by the small companies who respool the film. Perhaps it's not of fuji's interest to buy new machinery, but how about partnering with one of these companies and put their name into the product?
    Well, or having discontinued all MP film, perhaps they want to forget all kinds of MP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Fuji distributor in Ireland charges ridiculously high prices for film. I get my stock from a distributor in mainland Europe for much less even including carriage.

http://www.thephotoshop.ie/index.php...&path=64_80_82

www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin