Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,043   Online: 973

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Slides

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cut them with scissors. Just be careful - I cut them over my lightbox - and take your time and it isn't too hard.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are LOTS of very cheap and almost new Polaroid 35mm Slide Mounters on ebay. They hold the film and allow you to cut it very easily. You can also the plastic mounts for them for cheap on ebay.
    Just go to ebay and search "Polaroid 35 mm Slide mounts" you can get about 100 mounts for about $15 and the cutters are often cheaper than that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The nice thing about mounting your own is the ability to pick the winners, and only mount them. I process my own e-6, and cut them to fit neg filer pages. I contact print them in B&W to have a visual reference page that I can write note on that gets filed with the slide page.

When the urge strikkes me I either scan them, or mount the ones I want to project. The Polaroid cutter is handy. Mine has a build in light and loupe. Polaroid mounts in them make you expect that you will mount every image.

My 6x6 MF I mount in fold over heat seal paper mounts.

I was given a Byers automated 35mm slide mounter, but ended up dumping it after finding no takers, and I had not used it in the three years it sat set up ready to run. It was a slick machine. Spat out mounted slides. Was a little noisy, needing a compresed air line and power to run it Spat out nicely fused paltic mounts though, and even with a frame number imprinted on the mount when I remembered to refresh the inking pad.
    my real name, imagine that.

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Something like this is a useful tool. Widely available, I got mine off ebay more than likely.

http://www.berezin.com/3d/images/cuttermedium.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I understand that WRT medium format, but thanks for the reminder.

All the mounts I've seen for 120 film sizes have been glass mounts anyway though.
    You can get plastic and even cardboard ones.but for projection they are about as much use as a one leged man in an ass cicking contest
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So what use are they, then? For scanning I'd just use the same film holders as for negatives.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    So what use are they, then? For scanning I'd just use the same film holders as for negatives.
    Exactly if your just going to scan them why bother mounting them. The only reason to mount them is if they are going to be put into a slide projector.

Shooter
    35mm
    I tend to leave my home processed transparencies in strips nowdays, as I rarely use a projector, and strips are as convenient for scanning and storage. In the past I used mainly GePe mounts with a GePe mounting press...they used to make a great variety of sizes, both glass and plastic, not sure what they supply now.
    I've never found mounting slides too tedious ( put some classical music on in the background)....just needs reasonable care, try to avoid any dust.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you get a digital audience together; and set up a slide projector; and make them turn off their “smart” phones; and show them some slides.. WOW
    Try it; I have.
    P.S.
    Is WOW OK to tap on twitter?
    I think the answer is NO Google says it is: World of Warcraft

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Illuminated film cutters, including thumbwheel transport, are much older than Polaroid slide film.
    You will find a variety used in those countries where self-mounting was wide-spread.

There have been manual mounting systems designed for rapid mounting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin