Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,429   Online: 858

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Slides

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mounting Slides

I have a question her for folks as I have NO experience at all in this matter. I have shot some slide film, both 135 and 120 (6 x 4.5) and the lab has returned the transparencies to me uncut and unmounted. How hard and time consuming is it to mount slides? How long to mount 36 exposures? How do you cut them? Are they permanently mounted (glued?) or can you remove them if need be.

I am thinking of shooting a lot of slide film but fear that mounting them will be an enormous task.

Thank you!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It was two weeks ago when I mounted slides first time in my life.

For me mounting one slide takes approx. half-one minute, including cutting. Probably half hour per 35mm roll is realistic estimation for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I mounted a few 645 slides a couple of months ago as I couldn't find a lab to do it for me.

Perfectly straightforward to do with a sharp pair of scissors, decent light and a pair of gloves to help avoid fingermarks (I used nitriles as i do in the darkroom).

I used Gepe mounts, which are plastic and come in two parts. They snap together - no glue. They can be taken apart again, but I found it a faff. Not sure why one would want to do so anyway (I only did so on one or two because I had to rejig the placement).

If I were doing a lot regularly, perhaps a mounting press would be convenient , but it's not absolutely necessary.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't mount slides as the lab does on the rare occasions that I use transparency film but I recommend using plastic mounts if available. Years ago Polaroid had slide films and part of the do it yourself system was a 35mm illuminated slide mounter. It was battery operated and had a magnifying glass and a built in cutter. They had snap together plastic slide mounts and it was a neat little system. I still have one and once in a while use it. You might be able to find one or something like it searching the net.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree that 30 seconds each is pretty reasonable. I mounted a ton of 'em back in the 80s and early 90s when I shot a lot of E6. I too prefer the plastic slide in mounts, which make them easy to remove. That was important to me then because I was printing type R (and later, when I could afford it, Cibachrome) prints from them and didn't have a mounted slide holder. Other types may hold them flatter, however.

My experience is limited to 35mm slides. I would like to get a MF projector and shoot E6 in my 645 and 6x6 cameras but so far I haven't (well I've shot some E6, don't have the MF projector so they are still unmounted.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you project slides taken on 120 film Roger and you want them to be sharp on the screen you need to mount them in glass mounts to keep the film flat to stop them popping and distorting with the heat of the projection lamp.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand that WRT medium format, but thanks for the reminder.

All the mounts I've seen for 120 film sizes have been glass mounts anyway though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The distance between images seems awfully close to use scissors. Is it really that easy to cut them without hitting an image?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use straight, not "thick" (it helps if you can see the edge while cutting ) scissors + gloves + dust blower and you will be fine. Slide mount covers edges of the slide therefore small mistakes wont be visible. I use gepe glass mounts.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Even black and white 35mm needs to be cut into strips, which has its pitfalls...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/118226-neg-i-want-always-end-strip.html

Yes you have to cut them into single frames if you want to mount them.

When I processed my own, I (and one lab I used to go to) used plastic "Pako" mounts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin