Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,066   Online: 873

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hy Holga (120 CFN...I *think*) has a bulb setting underneath the body, so it's totally possible to overexpose if you're so inclined.
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had promised to post a sample frame from the Portra 400 NC 120, expired in 2002. Yeah, I didn't through it away as recommended. Here it is...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holga_400NC.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	74361

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
    I had promised to post a sample frame from the Portra 400 NC 120, expired in 2002. Yeah, I didn't through it away as recommended. Here it is...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holga_400NC.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	74361
    I'm glad you're happy. I'm the smarty-pants who suggested throwing it out. Please friend--no offense, but if that's what the actual print looked like, I still would. I guess because I know good Portra can look a lot better than that. The prints are missing half their yellow, and everything is magenta-y. When I look at your print, that's exactly why I tossed mine.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Portra 400 NC Expired: Should I ask for overdeveloping?

Yes let's throw out a bunch of perfectly usable film because straight prints are "off." You'd have to be a total pedant to think there's anything significantly wrong with the image he posted. Look, at the end of the day, this is what matters: film is being used. How he gets said film to look "normal" really is irrelevant.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I'm glad you're happy. I'm the smarty-pants who suggested throwing it out. Please friend--no offense, but if that's what the actual print looked like, I still would. I guess because I know good Portra can look a lot better than that. The prints are missing half their yellow, and everything is magenta-y. When I look at your print, that's exactly why I tossed mine.
    I don't see a damned thing wrong with it that I can attribute to the film (the Holga, on the other hand...). No, it's not perfect, but it works just fine for the purpose he's using it for. If you want perfect exposures, tack sharp, and ultimate color fidelity, then you shoot something like a Rolleiflex. I think Holgas are a match made in heaven for expired film, though. I'd love to see more from the series - I bet they're interesting.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Yes let's throw out a bunch of perfectly usable film because straight prints are "off." You'd have to be a total pedant to think there's anything significantly wrong with the image he posted. Look, at the end of the day, this is what matters: film is being used. How he gets said film to look "normal" really is irrelevant.
    Basically I've always been into monochrome. The color all fades, always has and always will. So at one point, none of it is going to be much good, except maybe Kodachrome.

I only chimed in because the outdated Portra I tossed was giving color just like the above posted one, and I couldn't pull it back with the dichro head. I was only "playing around" with it at the time, too. It didn't make much difference to me at the time either. Till I ended up shooting about the best color photo of my life, but the color film was outdated. That junk went straight to the garbage.
    You can't fool around with outdated color film, and Kodak needs the customers. So throw out that crap and go buy some new. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Hello again,

This is not a print, it's just a scan of the negative via silverfast soft (with film presettings) and epson v700. I just corrected a little bit the levels, without manipulating anything else. Since I don't hand-print at home, I think there is no problem with this possible blue (magenta) cast of these negs as I can correct this easily in photoshop. Moreover, the sky in Greece is true blue...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin