Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,360   Online: 764

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Portra 400 NC Expired: Should I ask for overdeveloping?

Hello,

I bought recently a batch of expired (2002) Kodak Portra 400 NC 120 in order to use them in a HOLGA project. The seller told me that the rolls were refrigerated and when he had tried one of them, a few time ago, looked ok. However, I had read somewhere that it might be better to overdevelop +1/3 for better results.

Thus, should I ask for C41 overdeveloping in the lab or doesn't matter? In fact, I want normal colour quality.

Regards,

F

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would forget about that and throw it out right now. Voice of experience. It's just plain no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Better advice is to try one roll in normal process and see if the results are OK. Since you're using a Holga the exposure won't be spot-on anyway and you're probably more accepting of minor flaws than a professional and exacting photographer.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I would forget about that and throw it out right now. Voice of experience. It's just plain no good.
    Total nonsense.

Expose the film at 200-250 to be on the safe side of any residual fogging and process as normal. Heck make sure you shoot and upload your finished product just so Tom can be further educated on why there's nothing wrong with expired film.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've shot some Fuji 400 and 800 that was from the 1990s and while it was more grainy than an in-date product, and the colors were not as saturated, it was still useable. But I definitely would give it at least an extra stop of exposure given the age of the film. Since you're Holga-ing it, that will be very easy. I'd play around with the film and just have low expectations and you won't be disappointed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For me, I would typically overexpose expired film by at least one stop than normal, not overdevelop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to remind to the fellows who recommend overexposure that with Holga this is not possible. I think I will ask from the lab to develop one roll regularly and then I'll see.

Thanx anyway!

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Huh? Holga is pretty much whatever. There is no ISO registration and it's completely freestyle.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
    Just to remind to the fellows who recommend overexposure that with Holga this is not possible.
    You can absolutely overexpose film in a Holga: just photograph in stronger light. In fact if you expose 400 ISO film during broad daylight in a Holga, you likely overexpose every single shot you take. Say thanks to emulsion engineers creating negative films with such incredible dynamic range that you never noticed ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    You can absolutely overexpose film in a Holga: just photograph in stronger light. In fact if you expose 400 ISO film during broad daylight in a Holga, you likely overexpose every single shot you take. Say thanks to emulsion engineers creating negative films with such incredible dynamic range that you never noticed ...
    Certainly you can overexpose film in any camera. I won't speak for the OP, but I think he meant that you can't set exposure compensation or manually override the ISO, as the Holga has no such controls.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin