Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,269   Online: 838

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Where did all the Koachrome processing machines go.

Just wondered if any ended up in Museums or became scrap metal.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Lot's of valuable stainless in those machines, I would think. Scrap metal would be your best bet!
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whole film plants went the way of scrap metal. Why would just a processing machine be spared from that fate?

By the way, on the Kodachrome enthusiasts site, one K-lab processor was stated to be saved for refurbishing and use a few years ago. Nothing had been heard of that project again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wonder if Dwaynes still has theirs since they were the last to process Kodachrome?

Shooter
    35mm
    The K=lab on the Kodachrome site was rescued from a scrapyard where it had been standing outside in the weather. There were some photos posted at one time and it looked in a very sorry state. As AgX says, nothing has been heard of the project for maybe a couple of years, despite requests for updates being made on the forum by interested members.
    It seems that Dwaynes machine may well have been scrapped (I read somewhere that they'd offered it for preservation without success?)

Went the way of buggy whips and candles and film scanners. K chrome had its charm. I just wish there was a way to get a decent print from it. I tried masking and inter negs without success. I bet it could be scanned and tamed to look good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    I bet it could be scanned and tamed to look good.
    Kodachrome is difficult to scan well and you can't use ICE IR dust removal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The K-Lab was rescued from the scrap yard is in decent shape and now has all the needed accessories to run film minus a chiller which can be had via a third party or fabricated. This includes the manuals, spooler, computer, chemistry racks, etc. some of the tubing might have to be replaced but that is very easy to come by. Kevin has been working away in trying to get things together in preparation of creating the soup wich is a slightly different method than a regular K-14 line.

We talked on the phone tonight for over an hour, this is the best bet to get a Kodachrome line running again, in my opinion...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Large Format
    You mean to tell me is these few short years there are fewer Kodachrome machines remaining in the world than B-17's?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    You mean to tell me is these few short years there are fewer Kodachrome machines remaining in the world than B-17's?
    The full size Kodachrome K12 and K14 machines were very large - a single batch of pre-spliced film plus leader plus trailer was usually several miles long.

Not the sort of thing you might find in someone's storage unit.

The K14 "minilabs" were smaller, but not small: http://tinyurl.com/nckd5dz
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin