Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,120   Online: 1111

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

What would inspire someone to say this?

So doing some late night research on cinematic film (specifically Kodak Vision) I came across what has got to possibly be the single most bizarre/absurd thing I have ever read - it was part of a reply to an old post on APUG I found while doing some quick Google searches. Now I am seriously wondering what inspired the poster to say the following:

...and Kodak gives cassettes of the stuff away if you ask for it, so it could be easy to try a roll or two.
    Surely Kodak wouldn't give away film and even if they did how could the OP of this comment have found this out, in all seriousness who would go and say to Kodak (or any other film manufacturer for that matter) 'Hey can I have some of your film for free to experiment with' and expect any reply other than something that can be paraphrased as 'Who are you and what have you been smoking?'

Sorry if this post makes no sense at all, it may just be the lack of sleep talking here...

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    it was their policy to do this its not so strange for a company to give free samples to interested users.

(i often give away things i sell, and i know companies have given me free things from film to lacquor plates. )

to be honest 100s of feet of film cost next to nothing to the manufacturer...
    on the other hand, laquor plates, well they run about 20-30$ each (list price) you can see how they are made
    at transco on "how its made " if you have netflix

... kodak mailed thousands of rolls of portra a few years ago ... it was kind of funny ...
    a little roll of 35mm in a big tube with a wraparound ad on it, talk about advertising, and overkill ..

in the end a company just wants constant-consumers, and if giving them a "taste" gets them to buy a few more at the normal price it did the trick ... and its good PR to give stuff away. even 5-6 years later people are still talking about it!
    Last edited by jnanian; 08-31-2013 at 11:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lots of businesses offer samples to potential customers. It is fairly common.

In the movie theater biz, exhibitors who are interested in buying some equipment from a vendor will often approach them for demonstrations. The vendor will send out the equipment and will often send a tech to install it, too. The exhibitor uses the equipment for a month or two then makes a decision. A deal is made and equipment is sold.

I used to get equipment for my college theater by calling up equipment vendors and asking for "B-Stock." If I played my cards right, I could even get equipment for free. Over the years, I got several thousand dollars worth.

If I was the chief engineer at a big company like AMC Theaters or Cinemark USA and I called up a movie projector company like Simplex or Christie asking for a demo, they would send it to me because they know I would probably order a truckload of movie projectors, later on.

It's a good business move. The caveat is that you have to be a serious customer, not some schmuck asking for a handout.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I can download 15 day free trials of software to get a flavor of what it offers in the hopes of me buying the program.....not sure what's wrong with Kodak offering samples....gotta prime the pump somehow....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a good business move. The caveat is that you have to be a serious customer, not some schmuck asking for a handout.
    And that is where i should have probably included some more context, this was in reply to someone asking about removing rem-jet backing from cinematic film that they were shooting and then cross processing as C41 - not anything at all to do with being a potential cinematic client, and that is what made me post this. I mean it would be nice to have some Kodak Vision to experiment with but unless I was planning on making a motion picture there would be no way I would even contemplate asking Kodak for some samples to test.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You are not reading lots of stuff if this is the most bizzarre thing you have ever read. Few free samples given away , is giving away something free is the most absurd thing ? There are always tight limits and rules for fascists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Here is some...have a ball...

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/800135...Xpro-C-41-Film

Still don't understand why you are debating an idea someone had, that you find preposterous when all you really wanna do is mess w some cine film....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At Photo Plus Expo a few years ago, Kodak was indeed giving away free rolls of color film that, if I recall correctly, was targeted at portrait and wedding photographers. Not so strange... You just had to ask.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, so perhaps my wording is not perfect and that may have something to do with a lack of sleep. Perhaps I should have waited until I was in a better state of mind to start doing any research. Though what Worker 11811 said still stands in that it is potential clients and not just any schmuck in off the street that ask for/receive samples. And zsas I'm not sure that software trials are quite the same because I'm sure that at some point in time almost everybody has downloaded a 15/30 day trial just for using the product once off with no plans of purchasing it, and that's where I see asking for product samples to be different.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I go to photo conferences every year. Kodak has a booth and gives away free samples all the time.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin