Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,746   Online: 936

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

160 speed color neg film

Hi all, I don't shoot that much skintone. However I have two rolls I may save for the future when I am overseas with family and friends. Finishing the other color neg up and then stick with slides and b/w. But anyway, from my readings the Fuji ProH 400 is quite a common film for skin and weddings. I also have a roll of Kodak UC400 tucked away. What does the Pro160 NS or the Portra 160 offer now? I am unfamiliar with the new Portra range since they combined NC and VC.

Many thanks.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pro 160 is toast last l checked. Want to shoot color neg? Shoot Kodak.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Portra 160 is excellent for skin tones. It's excellent for color overall, for that matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Portra 160 is indeed good for skin tones. It also has the benefit of being on the side of low contrast as a result of capturing a huge subject brightness range that digital can't. Such as a person under a tree in dappled light, digital would have blown highlights; Portra 160 would handle it gently and smoothly, just like tmax400 in pyrocat HD would handle it fine. The contrast and color saturation can be easily bumped up if you're using a hybrid workflow.

Outdoor in sun, it handles shadows and sunny highlights with ease:

Outdoors in gray weather, Portra 160 is VERY subtle in tone.

If you want a C41 film with the look of slides get the Ektar 100. It will be orange negatives of course, but will capture with the same punch of slides.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak Portra either 160 or 400 is an outstanding color negative film. I must say I consider it to be the best film, period. I used Fuji Pro 400H, but it disappointed me badly. The color rendition is very dull for my taste. Portra 160 has a wonderful organic feel and surprisingly it can even handle underexposure quite well. Can't ask anything more fpr a photographic medium.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do like the Fuji Pro 400H - but decided I did not like it much for skin. For portraits I'll use Portra.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fujicolor Pro 160NS over Portra 160 for me. I snapped up lots of 5 packs when it was DC'd.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Fujicolor Pro 160NS over Portra 160 for me. I snapped up lots of 5 packs when it was DC'd.
    As far as I'm aware, Pro 160NS was only discontinued in 135; I certainly have no problem buying it in 120 in the UK. In fact, I'm about to place an order for a bunch of boxes in the next couple of days myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pro 160 may be available yet in the US but not at any of my usual haunts. I bought a few extra rolls before it went but I use far more Portra, in both flavors, then I ever used Fuji. Great colors and great skin tones and the 400 can easily be shot at 1600 with no problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skysh4rk View Post
    As far as I'm aware, Pro 160NS was only discontinued in 135; I certainly have no problem buying it in 120 in the UK. In fact, I'm about to place an order for a bunch of boxes in the next couple of days myself.
    Buy it while you can, 160NS is gone in 120 size too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin