Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,237   Online: 1076

Shooter
    35mm

Old purple negs and a question on side lock sleeves

Hi, found some old negs, just wondering why they are purple. I would think they are C41, don't think they did b/w at all ....

Also the side lock sleeves, they cannot be stored in ringbinders right and does one need like 6 strips of them for 1 roll of film? The pictures seems to show a strip at a time, also are they separated so you have 6x separate strips per roll?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013_09_13_00002.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	74277

Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It comes up as Kodacolor II, but where's the orange mask? I did not know it fades too. Boy oh boy, that is some mighty fades stuff.

Shooter
    35mm
    We found the packet dated Jan 1980, 3x sets of negs. The other 2 rolls were orange. Nothing you cannot fix in post thou when the C41 is scanned, getting off topic for this site but that's the only way for C41. But yeah ... the fade if it's that.

Shooter
    35mm
    What a blast from the past. Kodak released Kodacolor II to coincide with the launch of the 110 pocket Instamatic camera (a very small neg not unlike a 16mm frame) and then later made it in all other sizes. I have hundreds of 35mm negs that look like this and many are worse. They didn't look like that when first processed although the mask was much naturally more brown than the bright orange of the earlier Kodacolor X film. It was clearly an early chemistry/lab problem with C41 that was eventually sorted. The ones I have were all lab processed and some are worse than others and I have some that are totally normal. I don't know if 110 negs were similarly affected because I did not own a 110 camera. Some of these negs became quite difficult to print well over time.

BTW 35mm film is commonly cut into six strips of 6 negs - bit of a pain if you squeeze 37 or 38 onto a roll. OzJohn

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at Printfile Ultima album pages. These are specifically for storing fold flap style sleeves.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin