Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,886   Online: 1158

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Besides reversal processing RA4 the only conventional darkroom method of printing transparencies that I'm aware of now is to make internegatives. People (but not me, I haven't tried) report good luck using Portra 160 now that interneg film is long gone.
    I've read a lot about this, but I don't think I've ever seen a good example of a final enlargement made using this process. Searching here and elsewhere doesn't return much. Anyone?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Try the Ilford Ilfoflex (RA-4 reflective material with high gloss base and surface).
    Good luck finding it -- in the States, anyway.
    Well, I said I care for that company. Not though for their mere erratic interest in marketing their halide products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no replacement for Cibachrome, it was unique.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let me phrase this another way.... If want to make color prints _myself_ optically from transparencies, what would be my best bet? What is a young person who wants to engage in this artistic craft to do!?!?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Internegatives.

But your best bet, if making optical prints yourself is the plan, is just to shoot negative film to begin with.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I learned my lesson on here about saying nice things about Cibachrome. There's a couple of guys who thought it was the devil's invention. One thing is for sure--it WAS shiny. Never saw a gloss on anything like that since. I've seen Corvettes and Camaros with 50,000 dollar paint jobs that didn't shine like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by justin parker View Post
    Let me phrase this another way.... If want to make color prints _myself_ optically from transparencies, what would be my best bet? What is a young person who wants to engage in this artistic craft to do!?!?
    print them on ilford direct positive paper which is b+W, that's the only way to use trannies in an enlarger in 2013. Otherwise, buy a drum scanner like I did.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well if you want to print them to black and white with more control than the red-insensitive one (rather high) contrast of the direct positive paper that should be easier than printing color.

1. If you can get some Panalure (I have some frozen and no, not for sale) print to that making a paper negative. Then contact print the paper negative through the back to regular B&W paper.

2. "Print" on to slow panchromatic black and white film making a B&W internegative then print that on regular paper.

Just throwing out ideas I've thought of but not tried. I think making black and white internegatives would be much easier than good color ones.

Still, the objective is usually to make a color print and these days, for practical purposes, that really means scanning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm glad that I printed on Cibachrome Pro Glossy when I had the chance to.
    I'm sad that I printed on the same because one cannot obtain anything close to that today.
    One can say the same about love. Better to have loved and lost than to have not loved at all, or something like that.
    Shakespeare, Keats, or Shelley probably wrote something that would apply to my sentiment about having had the taste and being aware of what can no longer be had.
    To quote Pepe le Pew, "Le sigh!"
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I learned my lesson on here about saying nice things about Cibachrome. There's a couple of guys who thought it was the devil's invention.
    It makes a big difference whether you do something as a hobby of whether you do it professionally in a competitive market. I couldn't care less if delivery of raw material took a week or two longer than it should have, and if a batch of paper would have been bad, nobody would have missed my prints. I can fully understand why some folks here throw hissy fits at the mere mentioning of the name Cibachrome/Ilfochrome or Ilford Switzerland, although I certainly do not share their sentiment (except about Ilford Switzerland).
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin