Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,850   Online: 735

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a contact here in Europe who's planning to order some RA-4 Ilfoflex and could cut it for us if we find two or three people more. Ilfoflex, not being paper, should work quite well for reversal RA-4 as it isn't paper (thus no mottle). Contact me soon if interested.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Great minds think alike

Trying to find the same stuff in Canada. Maybe we should keep in contact? I am Don at lightwips@yahoo.com. Good luck to you and your friend. Don

Shooter
    35mm
    If Ilfochrome and Cibachrome were so great and so many people miss it dearly, how come it disappeared before negative and RA-4 . This means to me that not as many people were using it compared to C41/RA4 which still exist. ?

This is intriguing to me and yes, I am new to the darkroom and being 43 I did not get a chance to print chrome or even ever seen a chrome print... I live in Miami Florida, where can I go and see one.? I am so curious to see what I missed...

There are two questions in this posting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RA4 persists because of printing old negatives, the remaining disposable cameras, and printing digital files on computerized lightjet and similar printers, which is a big market. C41 probably accounts for the majority of film still shot by consumers other than artists and hobbyists.

At one time transparency film (particularly Kodachrome) was superior to, though fussier than negative films so pros and serious amateurs shot mostly transparencies. That hasn't been true in decades and as negative film improved and started to reign superior overall (if not always as impressive or suited to a particular use) the demand for slide film and prints from it wained even in the film era. Digital was the final straw.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C41 is also vastly cheaper than Ilfochrome ever was. Fancy printing a 3m pano on Ilfochrome? A cool $3,400.
    Pros using analogue still do shoot transparencies, Roger. They won't touch C41 because it doesn't have the punch. I may occasionally use Portra 160 in pinhole, but never seem to gravitate back to negs the same was as Velvia glowing on the lightbox.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fujiflex/Ilfoflex IS RA4, which is why it still exists. See those big bus-stop ads, etc? That's the stuff.

RA4 is still widely available because it's the cheapest decent colour process for prints, therefore all the digital wet printers use it via laser or LED exposure instead of via a negative. Their volume is huge, therefore we still have it and will continue to do so until dry (inkjet or dye-sublimation) processes become cost-competitive for very large volumes of prints. "Printing old negs" doesn't even begin to factor into its commercial viability (labs would just scan them), it's all down to lab consumption rates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak makes two similar products for printing negatives.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a product that is an E6 emulsion, but on a paper base? Something similar to chrome dupe film which is low contrast. I've used Fuji CDU dupe film and it's gorgeous.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone have an example of a print made on Ilfoflex using the RA4 reversal process? Do share...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All paper based materials for pos-pos printing have been discontinued years ago.

To be correct, a pos-pos print from Ilfoflex would be cross processing.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin