Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,687   Online: 726

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    You know something? I wonder if the computer, digital photography, and all of that were to disappear from the face of the earth; would it be possible to secure a wide enough customer base to manufacture these kinds of materials? It's not even the same culture as it was in the 70's and 80's, even the 90's. How could you hope to bring a Wal-Mart culture back to this kind of thing? If you took a truckload of model airplane kits and distributed them in, say--a housing project, to distribute to the boys, would any of them get assembled?
    I do not think it is possible. It's just gone, and that's all there is to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, there would be enough demand that what wasn't remembered or recorded somewhere would be re-invented. But it's a totally theoretical question.

Wal Mart used to run very busy one hour labs. There's a huge demand for snapshots, which would revert to 3x5 (or so) prints if the web and smart phones disappeared.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Wal-Mart culture?????????????? That's an economy-destroying disease I wouldn't want to see proliferating any more than it already has. But
    Ciba materials were pretty difficult to make to begin with. By contrast, an even more involved premier process has already been revived in
    hybrid mode, namely dye transfer printing. The huge difference is that it uses independent sheets of a special black and white film called matrix
    film where the emulsion is applied in a single layer, and not a nitpickily multilayer coating like Ciba. Serious craft will never die. When today's
    lazy smart?phone addicted geeks grow up, all their teenage kids will rebel and want to work with their own hands. If we have to, we can even
    go back to cave painting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many color materials will soon be "un re creatable"! There will be no engineers left alive with the overall engineering competence. You guys keep forgetting this. After all, we don't yet know how the pyramids were built!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drew;

Details in red are made by variations in cyan! Cyan is the bottom layer and is difficult to control! Thus, all print processes suffer from what is called "Cyan Undercut" in which cyan dye is lacking in reds leaving them low in detail. This is particularly true in pos-pos processes.

I thought you might have run into it before. I've seen many Ciba/Ilford prints with this, especially the ad with the gal in the red jacket or sweater, I now forget the scene. It has little to do with masking as that deals with unwanted absorption, not outright imaging errors.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Many color materials will soon be "un re creatable"! There will be no engineers left alive with the overall engineering competence. You guys keep forgetting this. After all, we don't yet know how the pyramids were built!

PE
    We need to come up with the technology to remove the brains from these engineers and power them up in mechanical bodies, so we can get them to toil for us all indefinitely. Or would that fit in the category of "no good deed goes unpunished". Just joking. Thanks for your work PE, while it lasted. At least some of it still exists and may never be totally lost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

PE
    The pyramid "mystery" was solved lone ago when the found drawings of the ramps they used.

It was invented once, it could be invented again if need be. I know those are some very bright folks who worked it out the first time, but there are always very bright (and very dim - and the 'net shows us all the latter as well) folks around if the need is there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, "thanks for your work while it lasted"?? I'm not done yet.

Roger, yes and how many years did it take to learn about the ramps. I'm talking the internal ramps not the supposed external sand ramps which were claimed for years.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sorry. I have an idea you knew what I meant, despite my less than graceful syntax skills.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You think it would take as long or longer to re-invent color than it did the first time, with the computer tools we have now?

Maybe. I don't know. I don't know if they speed up chemical analysis and "design" like they do so many other things, but then if one is counting on digital mysteriously vanishing I guess that whacks the computers too.

I don't mean in any way to deny your talent or that of others who worked in this field. It just seems to me if somehow digital DID vanish, what was lost could be worked out again, maybe not identically, but just as good.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin