Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,873   Online: 981

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    Large Format
    After having read and learned of Drew's obvious expertise, I wonder what kind of opinion he or others of his experience thought of Ektachrome paper printing, up until its discontinuation. Compared to Ciba. Longevity of image, ease of process, color or print quality--that sort of thing. Leading me to a conclusive question: would it be any more likely or feasible to revive that product over Ciba. Presuming either were remotely likely.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    We need to come up with the technology to remove the brains from these engineers and power them up in mechanical bodies, so we can get them to toil for us all indefinitely. Or would that fit in the category of "no good deed goes unpunished". Just joking. Thanks for your work PE, while it lasted. At least some of it still exists and may never be totally lost.
    Wee need some kind of AI for that. A few weeks ago I saw a documentary about space travel and it suggested an AI for piloting a ship and keeping Earth's knowledge; We're not that far of being able to have that computing capability.
    It would take efforts to load all the information for color film manufacturing, but it would be doable.

As of the knowledge, discussed in another thread was that Kodak got rid of many R&D resources. I mentioned 2 electron sensitization, which is something quite specific and complex; and PE said all the knowledge kept is just the basics for production, and not the whole R&D documentation; Also, the engineer passed away.

Just kidding, but I think PE wouldn't mind to be 20 years old again...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    We need to come up with the technology to remove the brains from these engineers and power them up in mechanical bodies, so we can get them to toil for us all indefinitely.
    The issue is not brain surgery but the attitudes of those related to industrial knowledge in and outside the industry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why would we burden old scientists or their brains with tasks that even we APUGers are unwilling to do? From everything I read here it should be quite simple to formulate a working Ilfochrome dye bleach, yet nobody here seems to have done it and posted a working formula. And that "we APUGers" term seems to include my sorry self

We may not be able to formulate emulsions with two-photon sensitization, but there are even simpler tasks left undone (see the Kodachrome threads).
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I can't see PE on here without thinking of my Dad. Just guessing, but I figure they're close to the same age. My Pop will be 82 in December. Still shoots less than his age at golf several times a week. Healthy as a horse, sharp as a tack. Though supposedly "retired", still sells a good commercial insurance account every so often And PE is up there doing the Eastman House and all the other related activities he's into. Likely neither one of them is going to be kicking the bucket for a good number of years yet, knock on wood. I'll knock off embarrassing the guy with praise, but he's everything I pictured a Kodak scientist wold be, when I was a kid. Can't think of any other company with a QC standard like that.

Edit: No reply needed PE, as you've answered it before.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 09-17-2013 at 02:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ron - I doubt I can give a correct technical answer to your observation about handling the cyan layer of Ciba, but from a practical standpoint it's all
    about pulling the complementaries against the weight of each other using completely different tricks for each set (and I'm not referring to simple color
    balance per se) - kinda like tugging at each corner of a bedsheet until the opposite corner cooperates. Having a narrow-band additive colorhead makes
    a huge difference; and I could show sample prints of the same chrome printed onto Ciba with additive vs conventional subtractive sources, and the difference is pretty remarkable. But there is more than one way to skin the cat. People like Chris Burkett (and briefly, Joe Holmes) resorted to sequential
    printing techniques with different masks each step (kinda like DT printing); but I found shortcuts to this, and eventually started making very precise dupes
    with all the masking corrections already built in, matched to the characteristics of my additive colorheads. Call it voodoo or alchemy or whatever, but it
    worked! That's all I care about. But Ciba is Ciba. As I once told Ctein, I learned to dance with it, not tame it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Drew, I cannot disagree with your methods.

For others, Ektachrome type R or Radiance papers from Kodak were good but not as good as Cibachrome or Neg-Pos.

For those wanting to re-create analog photography, please remember that each product was build using part of the profit from the previous generation and as the plants are torn down, we lose assets. Also, this is a learning process with no valuable textbooks out there for the entire process from B&W to color.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The announcement on Christopher Burkett's website seems to indicate he'll continue to print with the Ciba stock he was able to amass, which he figures gives him another 5 years or so and then that's all folks. I have a print of his (Blue Glacial Ice) which is just fantastic.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This thread got really sidetracked....

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin