Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,812   Online: 1057

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

developing colour film in less than ideal conditions

Home C-41 is incredibly easy. The hard part is just devising the water bath. Everything after that is straight through processing as normal. E-6 is just as easy, but more steps. Once you're setup for C-41 you're also setup for E-6.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    Also since I'm going to get some iso800 film, I can extrapolate that the solution is only good for around 90 x iso800 rolls? Might be even less if I push it.
    My last kit quoted it was good for 80 rolls with no regard for the film speed, so 90 might be a reasonable estimate. Even still, in my case, $80 for 80 rolls is not something I'll argue about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    okay thanks guys - I think I will try it as $8 per roll of 10 shots is getting pricey.

You think that's pricey, son, eh?
    Spare a thought for us in Australia: 10 shots is $12.40 a roll (E6), or $27 for C41, and rising.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    You think that's pricey, son, eh?
    Spare a thought for us in Australia: 10 shots is $12.40 a roll (E6), or $27 for C41, and rising.
    I assume you mean C41 is $12 and E6 is $27, right? Otherwise you are definitely going to the wrong lab!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure which lab you go to, but at a pro lab I visit for development charges $11 for E6 and C41 in 135 or $9.90 for 120.

By the way, I did my first self dev last weekend and I had mixed results. First of all, on the first run, all of the rolls had really bad dried stabiliser dried up.
    What's the best way to clean it off from cut and sleeved film?

The next one, where I decided to use the rotational thingy instead of inversions, I got bromide drag on all of the negs...

Another thing I've noticed, even though my water bath was constant 37.8C, the chems once in my paterson tank was about 2-3C cooler.
    On the other hand all the chems in glass bottles where 37.8C. I think the plastic of the tank doesn't transfer the heat well enough, so the bath must be warmer. But I'm not sure how it will affect the Chems. Once I pour it in the tank. Also I think the presoak might need to be warmer, to heat up the tank more. My guess might be around 45C or more. I've tried 43C on the 2nd run, but it still wasn't warm enough.

One last question, the times mentioned. Do they include the times it takes to pour in and out the chems?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

developing colour film in less than ideal conditions

You don't have to include the pour in pour out times if you're doing it at a reasonable rate. It's not that precise. The difference will be negligible even with the short times of C-41.

1. Make sure the chemicals in your chem tanks are actually at 38C. Just because the holding bath is doesnt mean the chems are. Give it atleast a 30-60mins in the bath at 38C before actually using the stuff. Validate with a thermometer as well (just wash it off after). Plastic is a bad conductor and a good insulator so it make take a while to "catch up" to the bath temperature. This is why it's good to have an aquarium heater rather than running water as it saves a heck of a lot of water by containing the whole bath. Based on what I see in your photo you should be good heating and control wise.

2. Stabilizer is pretty much photo flo + stab so if you don't have problems with photo flo you shouldn't have problems with stab. Don't use it at 38C. Just use it at room temp at the end (I don't water bath my stab).

3. Bromide drag is surprising. My methodology with the tetenal kit is continuous hand agitation for 3.15-4.00 (depending on how many rolls I've used with the dev so far). Never even remotely seen anything like bromide drag.
    Last edited by clayne; 09-15-2013 at 11:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    I assume you mean C41 is $12 and E6 is $27, right? Otherwise you are definitely going to the wrong lab!

No. E6 is $12. C41 is $27.
    This is a professional lab. Another nearby charges $14.95 for E6 and $30 for C41.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Clayne and Nuff,
    Reading Clayne's point 2 , I wonder if there is a mis-translation or instructions in the wrong boxes at "processing-Step 5" of the "C41 Digibase Instruction Manual"
    I have had the same scum problem mentioned by Nuff, when I had the stabilizer at 37.8 C
    Next time I will try Stabilizer at 25 C for 90 seconds as in the lower boxes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    No. E6 is $12. C41 is $27.
    This is a professional lab. Another nearby charges $14.95 for E6 and $30 for C41.
    Is that C41 with prints or just dev? Sounds like it's prints at that price and it's comparing apples to oranges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wombat2go, did you mix the stab according to the PDF or on the bottle? If you see they are different. I used the instructions on the bottle which asks for half the solution the PDF does. I'm thinking about getting a squeegee. With photoflo I just hang the negs and the photoflo comes off. I think the issue is that the film (and stab) is hot and dries before the stab has the chance to drip off the film.

clayne, I'm pretty sure the bromide drag is my fault. I've changed the agitation method. The first set didn't have it, I was more vigorous with the agitation. I think swirling around the spools instead of inverting the tank isn't aggressive enough. I will go back to inversions and lower the stab temp. As for the temp of the chems, they were in the bath for 60min and were exactly 37.8C. I guess I'm going to submerge the paterson tank after loading film to bring it up to temperature as well before pouring in the pre-soak.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin