Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,409   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Why the light streaks?

Film is Kodak Porta 160, Camera Fuji GW690III, Tripod with cable release. The frames in question were shot at higher exposures and I am guessing that the frames with the streaks were between 8-16 seconds, maybe 4-8. I didn't record the frame/exposure information. Other frames on the same roll with shorter exposures did not streak. I doubled my metered exposure after reading a test on Porta 160 and the need to at least double the exposure after 1 second. Any thought on why the highlights have streaks?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It looks like the winding-on commenced before the shutter was properly closed, though it's interesting that the streaks go opposite directions. Any chance of a shutter-damage issue?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    It looks like the winding-on commenced before the shutter was properly closed, though it's interesting that the streaks go opposite directions. Any chance of a shutter-damage issue?
    Guess I can't rule anything out. No issues with any other shots before or after these. One other detail is that I used a cable release and the shutter speed was set to "T" so I used a stop watch to judge when to let go.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    T is meant for you to push your cable release twice! Once to open, then once to close. Maybe that IS the problem then.

The shutter might have automatically closed halfway through winding.

B is meant for you to push the cable release to open, and then let go to close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    T is meant for you to push your cable release twice! Once to open, then once to close. Maybe that IS the problem then.
    The shutter might have automatically closed halfway through winding.

B is meant for you to push the cable release to open, and then let go to close.
    Indubitably.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Operator error... Why just streaking on the highlights?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nbagno View Post
    Operator error... Why just streaking on the highlights?
    Because they're highlights. You were using what, 8 to 16 second exposures? Highlights are the only parts bright enough to be recorded on the film while you were winding and before the shutter closed. You're lucky it didn't jam/damage the camera, BTW.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    They're so bright - just a little time on the film shows up.

The shadows needed the long exposure time to appear, not much image forms in a short time.

Did you turn the camera over between shots? Like mount tripod center column upside down to get the low angle interior?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Because they're highlights. You were using what, 8 to 16 second exposures? Highlights are the only parts bright enough to be recorded on the film while you were winding and before the shutter closed. You're lucky it didn't jam/damage the camera, BTW.
    Yikes... I love this camera

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    They're so bright - just a little time on the film shows up.

The shadows needed the long exposure time to appear, not much image forms in a short time.

Did you turn the camera over between shots? Like mount tripod center column upside down to get the low angle interior?
    Don't think I turned it over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin