Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,445   Online: 807

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If cost isn't an issue Portra will be fine. I use it for more "urban" shooting sometimes, and on a tripod just after sunset, I love it.

Ektar is generally cheaper to come by, has a slightly smaller range, but grain is basically non-existant and it can give lovely results in more subdued light. It can give you punchy colours if you're shooting punchy-coloured things in punchy lighting, but it is no Velvia.

I've had decent results with Kodak Ultramax 400 in the past. It's a cheaper consumer film but to experiment with a new style, might be worth a shot. Kodak also has Profoto 100, which I'm no fan of.

There's a really cheap Fuji on B&H (Fujicolor 200) that I've never tried. I've shot Superia in 400 and 800 and they're just okay, but Reala 100 was my favourite of all print films recently, so if this falls in between it may be good.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ektar does not give "punchy" color, unless punchy color is resident in the actual scene. It's fairly accurate for a color film. But neither does it
    artificially soften things like skintones, which is something Porta 160 does. Nor does it forgive errors in color balance as easily. If you are comfortable shooting chromes, Ektar should be easy to learn. If you want something more forgiving of exposure error, go Portra. These films are tightly engineered for specific categories of use. And consistency is one thing you tend to get in quality products like these. If you want high quality results, then the learning curve is going to be more consistent too. Any mistakes which come out in the end result are likely to be your own. But you might pay a dollar more a roll for that privilege. Amateur films are made and marketed under less stringent conditions, and often have a buffer zone for sloppy use, so that you get "something", yet at the expense of something else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest the O.P buys some Portra and Ektar and tries them for himself, you can't rely on other peoples experience because your impressions may be completely different.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    RIGHT ON BEN!

suggestions are cheap
    experience is priceless

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even Ektar is restrained in terms of saturation compared to the default JPG settings on most digital cameras. If it's not Velvia, scanned into photoshop, with the saturation pushed up 50 points, it probably will still look subdued.

My vote goes to portra 160 and 400 though. I used to use other color films. Now I don't.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    RIGHT ON BEN!

suggestions are cheap
    experience is priceless
    Using others experience of what films are like John I.M.O. is like asking someone to have sex for you.
    Ben

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Tips can sometimes alleviate the worst of the learning curve. For example, I wouldn't recommend Ektar for someone planning a portrait session
    with acne-ridden teenagers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Using others experience of what films are like John I.M.O. is like asking someone to have sex for you.
    Isn't there an entire industry based on that?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was browsing Tumblr again and saw nice images/colors made with Kodak Portra 160 and 400.
    But also with Fujicolor Pro 400H and Fujicolor Pro 160 NS.
    So may I suggest that you try a few rolls of these films also?

The Filmshooters Collective may also be a nice source for examples.
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 09-21-2013 at 03:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    My personal opinion based on your intended use is that Portra or Fuji 400H would probably work well. Some samples if you're interested:

Roll of Fuji Pro 400H.

Airshow on Portra 160.

Airshow on Portra 400.

Football game on Portra 400 pushed 2 stops.

Roll of Ektar from the beach.

Roll of Ektar Miscellaneous Shots.

From a Roll of Kodak Gold 400.
    Last edited by Lamar; 09-21-2013 at 07:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin