Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,949   Posts: 1,557,882   Online: 899

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
    My personal opinion based on your intended use is that Portra or Fuji 400H would probably work well. Some samples if you're interested:
    Thanks for sharing. I found the Fuji PRO 400 and the pushed Portra 400 (football game) most appealing.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lamar - Very interesting. That Fuji Pro looked great. Of course those scans are top notch.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well I ran through a roll of Portra 400.

Very nice. The lack of grain when scanned is particularly impressive. Or, should I say, the lack of *intrusive* grain – I have no problem with grain in itself.

From a colour point of view, it's hard to say. Subjectively, looking at some Kodak 200 shots I have, the Portra seems to have a bit more depth and smoothness to it. I've no intention of of doing any 'scientific' testing mind you.

Interestingly, when I did a couple of black and white converstions, the Portra gave some fantastic tones.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post

Very nice. The lack of grain when scanned is particularly impressive. Or, should I say, the lack of *intrusive* grain – I have no problem with grain in itself.

From a colour point of view, it's hard to say. Subjectively, looking at some Kodak 200 shots I have, the Portra seems to have a bit more depth and smoothness to it. I've no intention of of doing any 'scientific' testing mind you.

Interestingly, when I did a couple of black and white converstions, the Portra gave some fantastic tones.
    Would you mind sharing some images? Always nice to see what others are doing.

Besides scanning, you could also actually print some negatives. Scanning negatives may give quite a different result - not always better or worse, just different. I'd rather evaluate a negative by prints than by scanned images.

I use Silverfast scanning software. The "colour point of view" can greatly be influenced by the selected film type in the software. Sometimes a "wrong" film type setting may give nice results.
    BTW: monitor & printer callibration is also a factor.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    Sure, when I get a minute, I'll upload some. This Portra roll was more of a test, so not sure there will be anything wonderful to look at, mind you.

I don't have a flatbed scanner anymore, so can't really show you what the prints would look like. All I'll be able to show is how a Plustek 8100 scanner works with the negs. I scan with VueScan (Silverfast makes me swear) and all options turned off – I prefer to do my post-prodcution in Photoshop. I've worked in design graphics for nearly twenty years, so I know well enough that this is going to give limited information for comparative purposes. It's funny how, before digital, I never used to accept anything that wasn't scanned on a £100K drum scanner. Nowadays digital leapfrogs the whole process. But that's not the reason I shoot film, of course.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's interesting. I have the same experience with great B&W conversions from Portra. I don't do color film to B&W conversions often though. Somehow it makes me feel like I'm cheating on my B&W film.......... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post

Shooter
    35mm
    I suspect that it's just having a good base to start with.

If you use a colour film that captures the widest range of tome, and scans well, then it will surely give the best latitude when converting to black and white... maybe? But yes, it does feel like a 'misuse' of expensive colour film, when there's perfectly good black and white film available.

Shooter
    35mm
    Haven't really had a lot of time to play with the scans, but this is a recent Portra 400 shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lamar: Those are really nice shots. Since these were scanned, were there any adjustments made that would have changed the results as compared to if it was chemically printed? If I would be scanning my pictures (landscape photography), where color saturation and contrast adjustments could be made, which film would you recommend? Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks!!. I've never printed optically so I don't have a way to compare but the shots from my earlier post were pretty much straight scans. Other than adjusting final color balance and tone after the scan I don't do much. For scanning C-41 I have had the best results with Kodak Ektar or Porta and Fuji Pro 400H.

I do on occasion have to really work at it to get nice results. These are the toughest I've done. http://www.lamarlamb.com/On-Film/Fil...Music-Stars-in These were tough scans because of the wide range between highlights and darkest shadows. The film easily held all the detail in the shadows and highlights, it was tough getting it in a scan though. I had to use two scan passes to get all the detail, one exposed for highlights and one for shadows. Also, because the stage lighting was a single light pointed to the girl in the center I had to reduce the exposure in the center a bit in those shots to even the lighting across the entire frame. I'm not sure what the analogous optical printing process is exactly but I know I've read it is done quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Lamar: Those are really nice shots. Since these were scanned, were there any adjustments made that would have changed the results as compared to if it was chemically printed? If I would be scanning my pictures (landscape photography), where color saturation and contrast adjustments could be made, which film would you recommend? Thanks.
    Last edited by Lamar; 10-26-2013 at 01:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin