Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,155   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

2 Times Through Airport X-Ray OK?

Hello All,

I just finished a short 3 day vacation trip and came back with 15 rolls of film ready for development. I had a blast shooting both my Nikon FM2 and Fuji GA645. Next week, I am off for another trip, this time one that will require air travel. I was planning to shoot this trip with my digital gear, but since I had so much fun with my film gear, I am reconsidering. I am 100% unsure of where to buy film at my location and so would have to bring my own. It is very unsure to me if I can get the film hand inspected at the airport. I can try, but no promises can be made.

So, assuming the worst, my film would have to go through the X Ray machine twice, once there and once back. I plan on brining only ISO100 and ISO400 speed film.

What level of risk is there with this film being harmed by such treatment? Would you proceed with this totally unworried, or would you be concerned?

Thanks everyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is that all ? Just twice is nothing provided it was the carry on scanners, seriously some of my films have been through airport and port scanners over 20 times, I gave up worrying years ago.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Is that all ? Just twice is nothing provided it was the carry on scanners, seriously some of my films have been through airport and port scanners over 20 times, I gave up worrying years ago.

Ian
    HUGE thanks! I shall not worry then.

Thank you so much.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    What level of risk is there with this film being harmed by such treatment? Would you proceed with this totally unworried, or would you be concerned?
    Fear nothing but fear itself

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Ian
    +1

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Usually, the X-ray scan for hand luggage should not cause any fog for film up to a sensitivity of ISO 800. As I understood, the dosage of X-ray for checked luggage may be stronger. On a recent trip I had my and luggage scanned three times and I had ISO 200 and 400 film. No problem at all.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Five scans on recent trip (carry on of course), no issues whatsoever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't worry. Be happy.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No problem with twice through the scanner for me either. 400 was fastest speed, some exposed some not. All carry on baggage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ask for hand checking. I always do. That way there is nothing to worry about. The more film, and more exotic film (120 or 4x5), the less objection there is. One time is safe for 800, 2 for 400, 3 for 200 and 4 for 100. That's just 2 trips. No way I'm subjecting my film to that. It's not just the cost of film, but also hotels, plane ticket and rental car, that you're risking to get your shots. And my granddaughter is 10 months old only once.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin