Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,158   Online: 1040

Shooter
    35mm

Agfaphoto CT Precisa 100

Hello APUGers,

I recently bought a few rolls of Agfa Precisa color positive film and was wondering what you think about it. Do you have any suggestions/opinions how to get the best out of it? I have very little experience with slides and my first attempts with Fuji Velvia were quite hopeless. I am so used to color negative I can' t live without that wonderfully huge dynamic range and ended up with blown highlights and blocked shadows. But I was thinking to give myself a second try with a less contrasty film. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mauro

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's Fuji Provia 100. You'll find it lower contrast and wider range than Velvia but still nothing like neg film (or the late, lamented Astia )

You just have to get used to the range of it and expose for what's important to the photo if you can't control the lighting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't used the Precisa. But I can say that my most successful slides were when I embraced the idea of blown highlights and blocked shadows. By considering where to place that narrow window of three or four stops of good image exposure, you can choose to strategically employ those pure blacks or blown highlights. You can hide details that you don't want in the frame by letting them fall into blackness or whiteness, and you can work with the graphic nature of pure shadow. There is a character to the blacks on reversal film which is quite unlike anything else. When I switched from slides to neg, that was the hardest change -- losing those lustrustrous inky blacks.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you both for your replies. I will take some time to get used to a different approach. Very inspiring what filmamigo is suggesting, I never thought about it that way.
    I´m going to post some results and will be glad to get more comments then.

epp
    Shooter
    Holga
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    It's Fuji Provia 100. You'll find it lower contrast and wider range than Velvia but still nothing like neg film (or the late, lamented Astia )

You just have to get used to the range of it and expose for what's important to the photo if you can't control the lighting.
    Is Fujifilm manufacturing it (and perhaps all films) for AgfaPhoto/Lupus Media??
    --
    My Holgas:

Holga 120N
    Holga 120TLR
    Holga 135
    Holga 135TLR
    Holga 135 Pan

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AgfaPhoto/Lupus used different manufacturers for their films. Fuji is one of them. So far there had not been an indication that special emulsions were used, but seemingly simple re-branding was employed.

Of course in the beginning they could use the outcome of their own short production fase or stock inherited with the buy of those Agfa assets.

Shooter
    35mm
    At present time, all colour negative and positive AgfaPhoto films are made by Fuji under contract to Lupus Imaging.
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

epp
    Shooter
    Holga
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    AgfaPhoto/Lupus used different manufacturers for their films. Fuji is one of them. So far there had not been an indication that special emulsions were used, but seemingly simple re-branding was employed.

Of course in the beginning they could use the outcome of their own short production fase or stock inherited with the buy of those Agfa assets.
    Thank you.

The AgfaPhoto color print/negative films, I haven't seen for sale locally. The last time I saw anything Agfa for sale around here, was when Agfa-Gevaert itself had owned the division. At one time, they also manufactured Walgreen's-branded color print films for the Walgreen's pharmacy chain in the U.S.
    --
    My Holgas:

Holga 120N
    Holga 120TLR
    Holga 135
    Holga 135TLR
    Holga 135 Pan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin