Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,237   Online: 1082

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Prewash must be at process-temp; the main purpose of it is to bring the tank to temp.
    Pre warm in this case, not pre wash, will warm up tank (and film) to process temp.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Yes, you will have to stand by the machine to recover the materials separately, for a 6 bath E-6 that can be a bit tyring (and defeating the idea of an automatic process to some extent...), Thus buying bulk chemistry, and using as one shot, is a much better solution, especially if you will be doing alot...
    This is probably going to be my next quest once I've got the hang of the machine, I'm not having much look in finding bulk chemistry here in the UK, almost everywhere still in the game is just hawking the 1L or 5L kits.

The main use of the atl will be for c41 120, probably a couple hundred rolls per year (or more), so buying bulk is rather appealing.

We are working on something - stay tuned.
    I'm _very_ interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    You can recover chemistry easily, it helps to have the unit on a counter or a table with a hole in it to allow the drain hose to pass through. In any case it has to drain into some waste container but if you wish to recover a specific bath you capture it as it pumps out after each stage. I ran one of these for a few years and you get to know the sounds pretty well. I would recycle fixer in the b&w process regularly. It's a nice unit, never had any trouble with it.
    I'm converting my garden shed into a darkroom, insulating it etc, buying a new smaller shed for the kids bikes.

So, the man cave will be fully equipped

Thanks for the info.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BennehBoy View Post
    This is probably going to be my next quest once I've got the hang of the machine, I'm not having much look in finding bulk chemistry here in the UK, almost everywhere still in the game is just hawking the 1L or 5L kits.

The main use of the atl will be for c41 120, probably a couple hundred rolls per year (or more), so buying bulk is rather appealing.

In the UK you have tenetal 5L 2 bath c-41, and 3 bath E-6, those are some of the best and easiest to use materials out there, and in most cases can be used as one shot for safety's sake, without sacrificing capacity of the kit (easy to save just the blix and re use, though its harder to find just the developer).

We sell a 5L and 10 L c-41 3 bath kit, but the shipping cost overseas is prohibitive. Tenetal is your best bet.
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, the beast has arrived!

Lots of extras included, submergible heater, external water pump, 2x15L float top tanks, 3 drums.

Did 3 full wash cycles last night and everything appeared to work OK.

There's some white residue in chemical bottle 2 that the clean hasn't cleared up, any recommendations for an agent to help it?

Chemicals & Durst UT100 arrive tomorrow
    Last edited by BennehBoy; 10-15-2013 at 03:53 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just leave it alone, its most likely old fixer, you can clean it all you want and it will just come back again with use.
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just leave it alone, its most likely old fixer, you can clean it all you want and it will just come back again with use.
    I'll be using C41 Digibase which is a 3 bath process, won't this old fixer residue mess with the bleach bath?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a poor photo of the residue:

My new to me UT100

And running an E6 process with just water to test the water jacket heater (also using external pump):

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, not wishing to put potassium permanganate through my machine I decided it was simplest to just swap the number 2 and 6 bottles over. I'm highly unlikely to use a 6 bath process for quite some time so this seemed like the simplest option.

Here are the screws that need removing to allow access to the pipework and bottles, they're ringed in green:

Next the drain cock handle needs to come off, it just lifted out on mine:

Here's what the exposed pipework and bottles look like:

The removed bottles - I disconnected the smaller reclamation system tubes, and pulled the entire large feed pipes including gromets out of the bottles - the gromets were pretty 'stuck on' and I didn't want to tear them or risk breaking anything through brute force:

Lid removed, it's just held on by a small screw on the collar - you can see how gunked up the bottle is:

The dirty lid and collar:

And after a scrub:

Here's a gromet after removing with the help of some liquid soap, this was then reinserted in the bottle top prior to inserting the chemical feed tube:

All back together:

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Good work! the residual material would have been eventually washed out by the bleach (and replaced with other deposits...) but this is an easy fix to this issue, nicely done!
    CatLABS of JP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin