Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,814   Online: 979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

New to ATL1500, 8x10 C41 & E6 questions

I've read a lot of threads on here covering developing 8x10 films in Jobo 2830 drums.

To that end I've taken the plunge and picked up an ATL 1500 & a couple of 2830 drums.

While I'm waiting for the processor to arrive I've been scrabbling aorund trying to find some basic info, I'm hoping that you kind souls might take pity on me and offer up some help. I've read the ATL manual and can't find the info I'm looking for in there either:

1) Can I do a pre-wash as an integral part of the 1500's C-41 or E6 process? I want to minimise the chance of any residual AH due to the 2830 ridges. Should I just manually do the pre-wash in tank before inserting it into the processor? Should the pre-wash be at process temperature, or does it not matter?

2) How much chemistry is needed for 2 8x10's in a 2830, the drum only lists print process volumes? I'm happy to err on the side of caution to begin with, but have no idea what that equates to in volumes.

3) Can the processor be configured to use bottles 1-3 for one chemistry and 4-6 for another (I'll be using tetenal kits), or do I just swap the bottles over. I'm only thinking about this as a means of minimizing contamination between the kits. Or do I just forget this and use the wash cycles between all processes?

Many Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Before i answer any of the questions, i will start by saying thag unfortunately, the 2830 tank will not fit in the ATL1500.

On a better note - the 2550 tank, which will hold 1 sheet of 8X10 will fit, and many users have good results with them for 8X10 on ATL1000/1500.

1. No need to prewash C41 or E6, and you can program a wash at any stage with the ATL1500.

2-3. Here is a link the manual answering all of your other questions:
    http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_ana...tl-1500_00.htm
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Before i answer any of the questions, i will start by saying thag unfortunately, the 2830 tank will not fit in the ATL1500.
    Oops! I thought it was the 2840 that wouldn't fit, there are some misleading posts out there. No biggie I got the 2830's cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The processor is coming with 2x 2553 tanks, presumably I can do 1 sheet in these also.

Godzilla in this post looks intersting -> http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...-godzilla.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Prewash must be at process-temp; the main purpose of it is to bring the tank to temp.

I can't speak to tank minima, but an 8x10 is basically one roll of film. Say you're doing E6 which has a typical capacity of ~10 rolls/L in two sequential batches (Fuji); you therefore want to make sure you have at least 200mL in the tank and run that working solution twice. Or if you can find a machine for the 2830 and run 2 of 8x10 at once, you want 400mL in the tank and run it twice. Those chemical-capacity minima are so much larger than the physical tank minima, so they're what you need to go by.

Though C41 has more capacity, I'd stick with the same numbers. Using up a small fraction of the chemical activity per process means you can make better guesses at the activity level in the tank, i.e. the developer is not noticeably slowing down within one development cycle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's great information, I've got 100 sheets of E64T in the freezer so expect to be doing a lot more E6 process than C41 in 8x10.

I'm still not quite sure how I recover the chemicals for re-use, presumably it's just about having a container under the drain at the right times?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've not used an ATL so I don't know. With my CPP2 and lift though, yes you just put a bottle under the drain at the appropriate time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can recover chemistry easily, it helps to have the unit on a counter or a table with a hole in it to allow the drain hose to pass through. In any case it has to drain into some waste container but if you wish to recover a specific bath you capture it as it pumps out after each stage. I ran one of these for a few years and you get to know the sounds pretty well. I would recycle fixer in the b&w process regularly. It's a nice unit, never had any trouble with it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BennehBoy View Post
    I'm still not quite sure how I recover the chemicals for re-use, presumably it's just about having a container under the drain at the right times?
    Yes, you will have to stand by the machine to recover the materials separately, for a 6 bath E-6 that can be a bit tyring (and defeating the idea of an automatic process to some extent...), Thus buying bulk chemistry, and using as one shot, is a much better solution, especially if you will be doing alot...
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The processor is coming with 2x 2553 tanks, presumably I can do 1 sheet in these also.

Godzilla in this post looks intersting -> http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...-godzilla.html
    We are working on something - stay tuned.

Oops! I thought it was the 2840 that wouldn't fit, there are some misleading posts out there. No biggie I got the 2830's cheap.
    Yes that's true, which is why its important to watch movies like midnight run, and remember the important quotes:
    "Always check the facts marvin, those were car keys"

As you are getting some 2550 with the machine, and the 2830 were cheap you should be good to go.
    CatLABS of JP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin