Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,149   Online: 828

Shooter
    Multi Format

Push Portra 400 or just underexpose?

Tomorrow I will be going out to shoot in an area I know I will need 800 or 1600 speed film. The only color film I have right now is Portra 400. Keeping in mind this will be shot in 120 format, do you guys think I should push the film with longer development times or just underexpose it?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot at 1600 and develop normally. Portra 400 has phenomenal latitude. You can also push process and that works as well. Pretty forgiving stuff.

I have read that it will go to 3200 but I have not tried to do it myself. Hmm..I may have to try that out during my next color developing run.

Edit - Keep in mind that I scan my color work. Not sure what will happen if you print in color in the darkroom.
    Last edited by Pioneer; 09-27-2013 at 09:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Base your "push" or "do not push" decision as much on the inherent contrast of the scene and the light as on the light levels.

A push increases contrast, but doesn't increase sensitivity (much).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I've pushed Portra 400 to 800 on 35mm and it was usable. Hmm... maybe I should just develop normally at 800 ASA...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin