Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,068   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I dun goofed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

I dun goofed

Well, I thought I was hot shit - about 550 rolls processed with no errors. Until tonight.

Screw you, Kodak, for making your exposed Portra rolls look like tmax rolls when one is tired and not actually reading the text on them

So I ran a big batch of TMY2 in Xtol tonight and was puzzled when it poured out piss-yellow. And then noticed that 2 of the 6 rolls were kind of brown... surely my fixer isn't that bad? No... it was 400VC. And now my fixer looks like Fanta.

At least I got probably-usable B&W images on the film (I expect huuuuuuge printing times with the dark brown base) and they weren't from a customer's shoot. Not as bad as putting B&W into C41 or the fixer in first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ya Wally!

I'm still yet to know if I dun goofed as well, as my carry on bag went through the big xray machine @ customs in Kota Kinabalo...

Shooter
    35mm
    Three things ruin the plans and hopes of men; inattention to detail, overconfidence, and ignorance. Oh, and electrical outtages, they suck too.

Sad to hear of your mishap, but you are perfectly correct that it could have been worse. Note the guy (me) who shot his son't birthday pics on C-41 film and used blix as the developer.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He (or she) who never screws up... or claims never to have made a mistake, either lies through their teeth or never actually does anything.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not positive but you may need to print those negs on color paper, even though they will still turn out black & white. I know that is how I have to print my Kodak BW400CN. Tried to print on b&w paper but could never get the adjustments right on my Beseler color head to filter out the base so I was never really happy with them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Try bleaching and developing in C-41?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Still, yours will probably come out better than my B&W when I do them right

Our school offered a photography class when I was in the eight grade. A few years later I had some B&W film left, and wasn't thinking when I gave it to my father to use for my brother's confirmation. Neither my father nor I (nor my friend who actually took the pictures) read the cartridges. We took it to the local mini-lab, which also did not read the cartridges - so there was a string of 4 or 5 people who all assumed it was color film.
    The shop owner was angry, claiming it messed up his color chemistry. The pictures came out, though contrast was very off, and our family didn't want B&W for this. At least we have pictures of the event.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post

At least I got probably-usable B&W images on the film (I expect huuuuuuge printing times with the dark brown base) and they weren't from a customer's shoot. Not as bad as putting B&W into C41 or the fixer in first.
    I did that on purpose last week. I have some old ISO 100 color negative film and wanted to see if it would be worthwhile to develop it with B&W developer. I exposed some control strips and ran the film through T-max developer. It is probably not worth it to post the results, but it is looks un-usable. Without actually plotting it out, the '0.1-above base' step looks like it falls around ISO 6 and the base density is around 2.0.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    Still, yours will probably come out better than my B&W when I do them right

Our school offered a photography class when I was in the eight grade. A few years later I had some B&W film left, and wasn't thinking when I gave it to my father to use for my brother's confirmation. Neither my father nor I (nor my friend who actually took the pictures) read the cartridges. We took it to the local mini-lab, which also did not read the cartridges - so there was a string of 4 or 5 people who all assumed it was color film.
    The shop owner was angry, claiming it messed up his color chemistry. The pictures came out, though contrast was very off, and our family didn't want B&W for this. At least we have pictures of the event.
    Did I understand correctly you made them process B&W negs in C41 chemistry? How did any image come out? Isn't the bleach supposed to clear all the silver from the film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, we didn't twist their arms, lol. We're not sure when and if they caught it, but we did get some fairly bad B&W pictures. I'd have to dig them out to refresh my memory, as this was some time ago, but there were some images that survived.
    Truzi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin