Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,602   Online: 1006

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Positive to Instant - Possibilities?

This has been on my mind for a while. With so many processes and products now gone, what are the possibilities/limitations of enlarging or contact printing positive transparencies to instant color film? I know there were once devices that used to do this (Vivitar made one), but I think I'm interested in a more hands-on approach. Impossible Project will be releasing 8x10 instant color film in the spring, and that got me to thinking about this.

I realize nothing along these lines (including RA-4 reversal and internegative processes) is going to make a perfect reproduction, but I'm willing to trade accuracy for originality, if the final result has something to offer.

Thoughts?

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought there was enough of a precedent for this that people would have some ideas. Maybe not. I have some expired Spectra film that I'd be willing to experiment with. All I need is some ideas for starting filtration and exposure -- that's what I'm having trouble finding. Oh, and a slide carrier (currently posted in WTB).

Shooter
    35mm
    When I worked on the Kodak Instant System, I used to use my Omega B-8 enlarger to print slides on Kodak Instant Film picture units. I don't remember the filtration, but it wasn't difficult to figure out.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. On a related note (and as a matter of curiosity) were you involved at all with Ektaflex? I understand there were technical, not to mention legal, problems that spelled its quick demise. But I've read that the results were quite impressive.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Ektaflex and Instant Film groups were both part of the Diffusion Transfer Community at Kodak and we worked closely together since both products used the same dye-releaser technology. I did quite a bit of Ektaflex testing (including making prints in my basement with the temperature about 65 degrees). The reason for it's demise was the dye-releaser technology. The dye-releasers were expensive and when Kodak lost the Polaroid lawsuit, the major use of the dye-releasers was gone and the expense/volume didn't justify further manufacture. Thus Ektaflex was discontinued.

Fuji obtained the dye-releaser technology in a patent trade and used it in their Pictrography printers (and of course, Instax film).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The vivitar instant slide printer is still a viable option. I think I still have one I am not using...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used my enlarger (Beseler 45MX) to project slides onto Type 55 with reasonable success. I'm fairly sure I've also done it to the Fuji variations to get prints, but not as recently. I think I needed to add some filtration to get the "right" colors and used sample gels from Rosco to do that. I'd give you the aperture and times I used for the T55, but they're taped to the enlarger which is four states away now. I think it was f32 for about 5 seconds, but that doesn't help much without knowing the enlarger height and lens. I got the starting point (which was VERY close) from an old Polaroid magazine that I'd borrowed (and, of course, no longer have).

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I got the starting point (which was VERY close) from an old Polaroid magazine that I'd borrowed (and, of course, no longer have).
    Thanks. I'd be curious to find that issue of that magazine. Was it the Polaroid "P" Magazine?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Thanks. I'd be curious to find that issue of that magazine. Was it the Polaroid "P" Magazine?
    It might have been. I borrowed the magazines from a guy who used to run a camera store or was a pro, not sure which. I think he lives somewhere between Greensburg and Washington, PA. I had to give them to someone else he'd promised them to, but I might be able to track them down or at least what they were. I know they were only about 10-15 pages and were a heavier stock.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin