Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,446   Online: 1161

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've found that the Ektar 100 with an 81a and a cp do a great job for autumn colors. I'm waiting for the chance to test out Provia 100f. I love the Provia that I've done so far, so I think I'll keep the love going if I can get in some shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If lattitude is important, Kodak Gold 100 or 200 depending on what you can still get your hands on. I just shoot at box speed for pretty decent results. It is a consumer film so try to find fresh stock and it will be a little saturated, but for fall colors it does a great job.

I also like Fuji Superia 400 shot at ISO200.

Barring that, Ektar is another real good option. I use it but find it a little less forgiving when it comes time to scan. Exposure in the camera is important or scanning colors can be off. Though I find that my Plustek does a slightly better job than my Epson.

Also, using a warming filter can help but I find that it works a bit too well for my tastes.

Shooter
    35mm
    For best color realness, Reala in 120. Even though you won't be, I can't help but wonder how many folks have tried printing Ektar optically. It does scan nicely and is a very good choice for a hybrid workflow, but it's way oversaturated otherwise. That too can be fun, but it's not real.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wolfeye,

I love the signature line. If that's inappropriate to mention here, I apologize. I just couldn't help a hearty chuckle!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used Ektar 100 in the past, and this week will shoot it again, but never used my 81a with the fall colors and will try that... interesting..

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    I've found that the Ektar 100 with an 81a and a cp do a great job for autumn colors. I'm waiting for the chance to test out Provia 100f. I love the Provia that I've done so far, so I think I'll keep the love going if I can get in some shooting.
    Provia 100F is a good choice for fall color too. Not as saturated as Velvia but I did get some good shots with the Provia last fall.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW, I just shot the fall colors in upstate NY last week. I used a roll of Portra 160 in my Canon P, and a roll of Ektar in my reversed lens Brownie Hawkeye. The colors and range of the Portra were really excellent; the Ektar was wild and saturated, but striking. If accuracy is your objective, go for the Portra; if you want to make the colors pop, Ektar it is.

I'll probably be back out this week with a roll each of Portra 160 and Ektar in my Rolleiflex. I am curious to see how they behave with the camera variable removed.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    Provia 100F is a good choice for fall color too. Not as saturated as Velvia but I did get some good shots with the Provia last fall.
    The thing I love about Provia is that the colors are vivid without being overly saturated. Viewing the resulting transparencies feels quite rewarding when they're exposed right!

As for the Ektar 100 being hypersaturated, the 81a tames the blue shadows somewhat and lends to the fall warmth. If you slightly overexpose by 1/3 to 1 stop, the saturation decreases. It's best to try that during lower light periods, like early evening, prior to the middle part of golden hour. It also work in wooded areas.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ektar is quite accurate outdoors. Probably the most accurate color film I've ever worked with. But you do need to understand it. It needs to
    be balanced for color temperature because it doesn't artificially warm shadows like a portrait film does. Under an overcast sky, use an 81A filter. For deep blue shade, use an 81C. For high altitude or minor shadow control, use a pale pink skylight or 1A filter. Simple. And it needs to be properly exposed, just like a slide film. Know how to use a light meter. What's so hard about that. Even Aunt Maude in Peoria knew how to put on a slide show on her white refrigerator door. Nowadays the mantra is just wing it, then try to correct the mess in Photoshop afterwards. Garbage-in/garbage out. Do it correctly at first and life is a lot easier. But be aware that an accurate film might not be what you want if you are doing environmental portraiture under less than ideal conditions. What we've come to accept as photographically "pleasing"
    skintones can sometimes be at odds with the true color of foliage etc. And Ektar is rather saturated in comparison to garden-variety color
    neg films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would second the nomination of Ektar 100. Not my first choice for people pictures, but for landscapes and those subjects for which good saturation is desired, it is my preference. If scanning, you can of course adjust these parameters, but it is naturally a high-saturation film in my experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin