Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,575   Online: 772

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fall color film questions

I'm usually lurking over on the B&W forums and don't play with color much anymore. This thread is for finding out what I need in a color film. It seems my digital camera's have taken over the snap-shot color work, but I have a little trip coming up and would like some info on color films. I'm heading into up-state New York shortly and the fall colors should be near peak when I go, which is why I want color film along. I'll be shooting both 35mm and 120 film and want something that gives fine details/good sharpness/moderate contrast/good color. I know that if I'm scanning I can play with contrast a bit, but color is a little harder. I'm leaning towards Ektar film, but if anyone has anything that might be more to the liking of Fall colors please fill me in. I'm not against slide film if it would be better. My equipment will be two Minox 35mm cameras and a Hasselblad SWC for the shots and a Nikon LS-8000 scanner plus 13x19 printer for the finish work. I don't do much serious color work so experience from others is what I'm going to have to rely on. JohnW

Shooter
    35mm
    Since you are scanning and printing ink jet, you can pretty much go with anything. I recommend Fuji Reala in 120, and Kodak Portra or Ektar for 35mm. Ektar is a RPITA to print optically without gross oversaturation, but the prints can be awesome if done right.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot the fall colours with Fuji Superia last year and was disappointing (I still hadn't learned the difference between "pro" and "consumer" film). I'm using Ektar this year. I don't have the film back from the lab yet, so I can't say how well it worked. But I put me down as a vote of faith for Ektar.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I live outside of Ottawa and was really looking forward to the Autumn Colors this year, especially since we just moved and have 82 acres of tree covered land. However, the Color Gods fell asleep at the switch this year and it is really muted by comparison of other years.

That being said, I typically use Velvia as the saturation Is fantastic. Don

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I should mention again that I'm more concerned about proper color response of the film more than anything else. Latitude is also important since you can't add shadow or highlight detail if it ain't there to begin with, which is why I'm leaning toward color negative film to begin with. With scanning and digital workflow I'll have a little control over some of this, but I'd like the color response to be pretty close to being "right on" from the start. I have a little experience with Kodak Portra films and find I do like its color response, but haven't used other color films (negative or transparencies) is such a long time that I'm lost. JohnW

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Portra or Kodak Gold. No need adventure and lost your best shots to strange products.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want accurate color in color negative, Ektar is your choice. It goes blue in the shadows, but then again so does the light. Slide films also tend to go blue in the shadows because the light does and there's no opportunity to correct it after you release the shutter. For saturation, nothing beats a Velvia slide, though Ektar is very chrome-like for a negative film. It just can't be projected because, well, it's a negative film.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKrull View Post
    I shot the fall colours with Fuji Superia last year and was disappointing (I still hadn't learned the difference between "pro" and "consumer" film). I'm using Ektar this year. I don't have the film back from the lab yet, so I can't say how well it worked. But I put me down as a vote of faith for Ektar.
    I have a little less then two weeks before I go so the colors should be pretty good at that time. I hope!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    IMHO Ektar is the strangest animal I have ever seen from Kodak or Fuji. If you want discusting cyan skies and brass colored trees , go for it but
    if you are after real kodak palette - I am writing for ,you have an idea - go for gold or portra.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For reds, I generally prefer Kodak films, especially the Portra stocks, so I would think this would be a good way to go for autumn foliage.

That said, I've kinda been liking Fuji Pro 160NS recently, which seems to give some vibrant colours when overexposed a stop or two.

Ektar could really be good for fall colours as well, I just don't really trust it though. With Portra, I know have the shot as long as my exposure isn't completely off the wall, but I've gotten some strange colour casts with Ektar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin