Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,493   Online: 904

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Color Printing?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Drew, Drew, Drew. In rolls, CAII is only available up to 12", not 40" as you claim. Furthermore CAII is designed for frontier or noritsu minilab printers - high volume, short high intensity laser light exposures, low price point (read minimal silver) - hence the crappy crossover and the poor dmax when exposed under an enlarger. As someone who has completely disavowed digital printing it comes as no surprise that you would have zero understanding of the changes made to Ra papers ten years back. I started making digital c's with the first wave of durst lambdas and the old papers, optimized for exposure under an enlarger, suffered under laser light. It wasn't long before both kodak and fuji made big changes to their emulsions. I was there printing both traditional and digital during this transition and so experienced these changes first hand under both sources. The current crop of papers are digitally optimized papers - if they look good to you than have at it my friend. But given the wild color casts of your images ( http://www.drewwiley.com/gallery.php ) there's no wonder you haven't experienced crossover yet. How could you when you're nowhere near neutral? Until you show me better results than what I've seen, I've no use for your diatribe. I've ordered a fresh box of the caii for the sake of a test comparing it against kodak vc, kodak premiere, and the old kodak supra. I'll post the results here so readers can have empirical data instead of our noisy debate. Of course I fully anticipate you calling foul because of the necessary evil of using a scanner, monitor, photoshop (or fauxtoshop as you jest ) to get the comparisons up here and so will track down my kodak color separation guide for all the luddites who can't handle calibrating their monitors.

For your reading pleasure here's a link http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bi...peII_Paper.pdf Now it's time for you to stop talking smack and go try to learn a thing or two about color printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    The usual stockist for for Fujifilm materials which I have used here has CA DPII up to 50"x50m as a standard stock item. The Kodak Endura Premier even goes up to 72". The cheapo happy-snap varieties of Crystal Archive are indeed only available in happy-snap sizes though, so perhaps they are what Frotog was referring to.

Shooter
    35mm
    In the link that frotog gives it mentions "high quality colour prints on analogue and digital printers" I had assumed that this meant the paper was suitable for analogue RA4 printing via an enlarger and standard RA4 chemicals.

Can anyone say what Fuji's definition is of "analogue printers" in the link given?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    An analogue printing system would be something other than using lasers or LED's -- ie. a halogen colour-head, or an older enprint system of some sort. And, of course, remembering that a lot of dev+print packages (and the light-jet type of pro gear) are printed from a scan of the negative, rather than directly through the negative.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, so does an enlarger with an optical lens and using a halogen bulb such as I am pretty certain me my Durst M605 enlarger with colour head does, meet the definition of analogue printer?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes, analog (or analogue) means an ordinary colorhead. But per Frotog's blatantly misleading series of rants ... I have no idea what specific papers automated minilabs use, nor do I know anyone who uses those kinds of marginal-quality services. Nor do I know what planet Frotog is chiming in from. But yes, right now, right at this moment, "Drew. Drew, Drew" does have forty inch-wide rolls of CAII sitting right there in his lab, and the big commercial lab down the street has even wider rolls on hand. All ya gotta do is look at Fuji's stock list or that of any serious Fuji supplier to figure that one out!! CAII is not just one product but a whole suite of them. I've even got the polyester-based Supergloss CAII on hand, and it really does deliver some rich blacks, and could even be mistaken for Cibachrome in this respect. Films have changed somewhat, and if you tend to go higher contrast/higher saturation like Ektar, color adjustment is like power steering and has to be done carefully. Maybe presents a bit of a challenge to people used to the older muddier films. And some very old colorheads have an excess amt of white light spillover that might induce a bit of crossover. But CAII is the standard line of papers being used in all serious labs around here, for both optical and digital large sizes as well as small "machine prints" in volume. Kodak still has some of the local specialty lab business. But
    'scuse' me ... I better run down the road real quick and tell those folks that all those forty-inch wide color prints on their walls don't really
    exist!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes.

I will be interested to see frotogs comparison.

I have a large stash of cut sheet endura, though some has developed a very slight cast to the whites, it's really not noticable and is still very usable. It will be a few years before i run out probably. Hopefully by then things have improved... ?

-Ed

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Thanks, so does an enlarger with an optical lens and using a halogen bulb such as I am pretty certain me my Durst M605 enlarger with colour head does, meet the definition of analogue printer?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Per print quality per se, Frotog - you've never seen a single print of mine in your entire life, so what on earth makes you think you can intelligently pontificate on them? First of all, nearly every single color print I posted on the web was a Cibachrome. Second, it's the damn web, not the real deal. If you don't understand that distinction, then we don't even have the basis for a dialog. Again, I could care less... But I do care about keeping these kinds of analog materials alive, and hopefully making them even more widely available and convenient for
    amateur use in cut sheet again, so would prefer more of a positive team effort than constantly going around telling everyone how stupid Fuji allegedly is and how impossible their products are. Thank you, but I think they know what they are doing.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Bingo - exactly what I was referring to... Ed, you don't need to wait until things improve. That's the whole point. The CAII products are damn good right now. Better than ever. Once some of this nonsensical badmouthing gets on the web, esp something like APUG, for whatever reason,it can do a lot of damage with respect to entry level users. If there are problems, analyze the workflow and find out where the chuckhole really is. Same goes for film ... I read all these posts of people trashing Ektar when the problem generally lies with some crude system of scanning. Do you really think that Fuji and Kodak engineers are a bunch of idiots who haven't ironed out the quality control issues relative to the potential range of applications? If there are idiots in the system they are more likely in mgt or marketing. Of course, not every single film or paper product is ideal for every application, and that's precisely why we need to keep choices alive. But starting a stampede
    over an alleged quality and availability issue that doesn't even exist is a different story.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Edit: I just emailed Freestyle to ask 'em who makes Aristacolor. Not much point speculatin' when we can just ask them. PS their website says "Made in USA"; hopefully that doesn't just mean "cut to sheets in USA"
    "Unfortunately, due to our contract with the manufacturer, we cannot tell you this information."

Base thickness is about the same as FCA or any other RC paper I've used.

I'm not joining your dick-size war.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin