Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,386   Online: 692

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I happened to me once by accident, right after I had returned from a particularly long backpack trip and the lab accidentally put my
    Ektachrome into C41. I wasn't amused. We ran a bunch of prints onto C paper and results were interesting, with the much wider contrast
    range characteristic of negs, but the full correct color balance impossible to achieve. A bit otherworldly, though maybe appealing in some
    weird artsy sense.

Shooter
    35mm
    Stone: there IS an orange mask when you process E-6 film in the C-41 process. I know because I already do it. I just wanted input as to a better way. True, you do have to overexpose by about two stops, but you do get adequate colors.

Drew: I have managed to get adequate print color, not perfect but decent. Also, for purely aesthetic purposes this process could be interesting. - David Lyga

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I have always preferred the look of C41 film developed in E6.. Basically you need to under expose and push process, the best ones I have seen are 4 stop pushes. This really pisses off the Refrema operator and has to be done in off hours.

I have been thinking of making a series of chromes exactly like this. very cool look IMO.
    I've done it, too green for me, and this is the opposite of the OP's question and not helpful to him just FYI

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Stone: there IS an orange mask when you process E-6 film in the C-41 process. I know because I already do it. I just wanted input as to a better way. True, you do have to overexpose by about two stops, but you do get adequate colors.

Drew: I have managed to get adequate print color, not perfect but decent. Also, for purely aesthetic purposes this process could be interesting. - David Lyga
    Are you sure about this David? Why would there be an orange mask? The film is on a clear base, so there should be no orange mask .... This confuses me....

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have done several films in c41. They all had a clear base. The orange mask in my experience is incorporated in the film base.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter de Groot View Post
    I have done several films in c41. They all had a clear base. The orange mask in my experience is incorporated in the film base.
    Actually, the orange color results from the use of colored couplers- they have color BEFORE being developed - the color changes on development.

The colored couplers are used for correcting unwanted color adsorption by the image dyes.

See: http://photo.net/learn/orange-negative-mask for a more complete explanation.
    Last edited by Prof_Pixel; 10-11-2013 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added web reference

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've cross processed dozens of rolls of film and the colour of the base varies from film to film, although there is more consistence between manufacturers. Kodak films often do have a light brown base and the resulting images when scanned as a CN have a more natural colour balance. Fuji films seen to come out with a bluer base, with Velvia darker and greener than Provia. Agfa films seem to give a purple base. The base colour obviously makes a big difference to the final image when it is inverted.
    Last edited by Simonh82; 10-11-2013 at 06:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo

Shooter
    35mm
    STONE: Despite it being counter-intuitive, when I process the Ekatchrome in C-41 developer, there is, indeed, an orange mask throughout. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    STONE: Despite it being counter-intuitive, when I process the Ekatchrome in C-41 developer, there is, indeed, an orange mask throughout. - David Lyga
    There may be some level of non-image stain (probably due to the blix), but it's not the same orange masking that results from the couplers in C-41 negative films.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    There may be some level of non-image stain (probably due to the blix), but it's not the same orange masking that results from the couplers in C-41 negative films.
    Yea I would wonder if it's from not fully fixing or something, the blix is a very red/orange color. I'll be attaining a separate bleach / fix soon for E-6 so maybe I'll get one for C-41 and see if it changes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin