Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,586   Online: 843

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    STONE: I ALWAYS use potassium ferricyanide for bleach. The mask is orange if, and only if, you process as C-41. NOT stain. - David Lyga

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    STONE: I ALWAYS use potassium ferricyanide for bleach. The mask is orange if, and only if, you process as C-41. NOT stain. - David Lyga
    Ok I'll try it soon

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that the actual chemical process makes the mask either orange or null because we both know that Ektachrome will always be clear when processed for a positive in E-6. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a new box of EPP 100 (expired of course) that I might try this with. I am sure the color must have shifted so this could be the best use of it.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should stop using the word "mask". It may be orange but is not a mask in the true sense of the word.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC View Post
    You should stop using the word "mask". It may be orange but is not a mask in the true sense of the word.
    That's right!!!!!! It seems no one has bothered to read my link in my message #16 in this thread that explains what the Kodak orange color mask is.

Shooter
    35mm
    RPC and Professor Pixel:

Semantically, you both just might be correct, but I do not know for sure.

Actually, what is the precise definition of 'mask' as applied to photography? This is an interesting quandary that you have brought up. I naively thought that a mask was simply a 'screen' that could impart overall color or, really, anything else. Inform us. I know that the reason for the orange is to correct the hues (blue?) which could not be fully corrected with the couplers.

(And with Professor Pixel living right next to Kodak in Rochester, he just might know something!) Of course, both of you, I do not think that I am the first to use the word in this way, but, nevertheless, I wish to be correct. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 10-16-2013 at 08:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have optically printed cross procesed e-6 film normally processed in c-41 home brew, with the ferricyanide /bromide bleach under discussion.

When printing, I still project though a sandwich section of unexposed and processed c-41 film to provide the correct mask to tie to the dye sets in the ra-4 paper I am printing to.

Then you pick which colour in the print you want to be realistic ( if any) with your enlarger light source filtration and let the other hues distort as they are want to do in this process.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    When printing, I still project though a sandwich section of unexposed and processed c-41 film to provide the correct mask to tie to the dye sets in the ra-4 paper I am printing to.
    In this case, the processed film simply acts as a color filter, not as a color correcting mask

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In a nutshell, a description of a color negative mask is as follows: when the dyes are formed in a color negative, they have impurities (unwanted color absorptions) which taint their color. Collectively, these impurities form a negative orangish image (along with the regular dye image). Residual dye coupler, that which does not convert to dye during development, remains and forms a positive orangish image. It is orangish because the dye coupler was given that color during manufacture. The two images cancel one another. The dye impurity image thus has been "masked" by the dye coupler image. What results is a uniform orange color all over the negative, consisting of the mask (positive orangish image formed by residual dye coupler), and what it is masking, dye impurities (forming a negative orangish image). This uniform orange color is simply filtered out during printing and along with it goes the effects of the mask and the dye impurities, resulting in improved color in the print.
    Last edited by RPC; 10-16-2013 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin