Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,132   Online: 829

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fixer odor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do the clothes have a pink stain after hanging to dry for 24 hours?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the smell of kodak fixer; it's a nice reminder I'm doing darkroom work. I don't use it anymore. I use TF5 which is faster and doesn't smell and easier to mix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Hypo Clear???

Ken
    Actually ....

We have finally found a good use for Hypo Eliminator!

On a slightly related note - do you know the trick for eliminating the smell of fixer on your hands?

In the event, of course, that you didn't follow all those excellent suggestions about wearing gloves?

The answer: rub a piece of stainless steel over your hands (a spoon will do).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aww now Matt... Are you pulling my leg?? I never heard that one before...

I know I've mentioned this story before, but I once taught a pinhole camera/paper negative class to a bunch of 7-8th graders. We converted a school bathroom into a makeshift darkroom and developed there. After we were done one of the 8th grade girls came up and asked me how to get that fixer smell off of her hands.

I carefully explained that she was now the latest member in an honorable line of photographers stretching back 170+ years. That the smell was, in fact, a badge of honor that marked her as a member of a now nearly extinct sisterhood of practitioners of this ancient art that is understood by only a few masters.

Or something like that...

One of her teachers told me later that the poor thing didn't wash her hands for a week. That she walked around the playground getting all of the other kids to smell her hands. I heard years later that she eventually took a darkroom photography class when she reached high school. So you never know when one of those seeds you plant might actually sprout something.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aww now Matt... Are you pulling my leg?? I never heard that one before...

Ken
    Nope - try it!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    When I come out of the darkroom and wash my hands to get the fixer odor off (there's always residue it seems), then go to give the two dogs a treat, the shy female black lab/basset mix sniffs my fingers and turns her head and refuses the treat. But then the exuberant male border collie (garbage disposal) nearly takes my hand off wolfing down both treats. So I've concluded it's only females that object to fixer odor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    On a slightly related note - do you know the trick for eliminating the smell of fixer on your hands?
    Yes, rubbing your hands with a bit of hydrogen peroxide will remove the smell.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Are you sure you didn't accedently use the fixer instead of laundry detergent.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aww now Matt... Are you pulling my leg?? I never heard that one [rubbing on stainless steel spoon] before...
    Matted stainless steel is stated in general to eliminate odors from hands, when used in washing. There are special egg-formed aplliances to use for this means. I got one too, but so far did not use it nor did that viable experiment to prove that statement.

http://translate.google.de/translate...iki/Stahlseife
    Last edited by AgX; 10-23-2013 at 04:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Yes, rubbing your hands with a bit of hydrogen peroxide will remove the smell.
    Is there a challenge then with getting rid of the hydrogen peroxide odor?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin