Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,994   Online: 844

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Film Identification

So I have a roll of Kodak film in my fridge that I know very little about and want to know more. I have deduced the following about the film (some of it possibly incorrect):
    It has the marking "VPS 120" on it, meaning it is a Vericolor type film in 120 size
    It uses the original 1971 Kodak "K" logo, so it has to be post '71 but pre '87
    The film is missing it's original box but the inner wrapper is still in tact, so possibly from a Pro-Pack

Here are the main observations that haven't led to deductions:
    The film has no ASA rating printed on it
    The wrapper is a waxy (possibly foil backed) paper not the plastic used on the later and current 120 rolls
    There is no printed expiration date like on the late and current 120 wrappers

So I would like to know if anyone can properly identify and/or date this film. I am also curious what process this film would use - not necessarily because I am planning on shooting it (heck it has to be at least 26 years old) but just because I would like to know.

Attached is a photo with front and rear shots of the wrapper and front and rear shots of a more modern roll of Vericolor III to compare it to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KodakVPSAPUG.jpg  
    Shooting film doesn't make me a hipster, it makes me someone who takes photos...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi
    It's the same film, Vericolor III.
    Vericolor was made for years, and I have shot many rolls that are older than myself.
    They finally pulled the plug on it around 2003-ish.
    It's pretty good stuff if it's been stored right.
    BTW, its C41 process.

All the best
    rabbitvcactus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So the roll on the left more likely dates from the early 80's shortly before they changed the Kodak typeface and not from the 70's like I suspected? The dates I have found say that the original pre C-41 Vericolor (Code VS) was introduced in '70 in the US and '72 in the UK (is that correct?) and then the Vericolor II (Code VPS) was introduced in '74 (again, is that correct?) with the Vericolor III (Code VPS) introduced some time later (date unknown, anyone know?). The Vericolor Series film was Superseded around 1998 by Portra 160 NC/VC. So I suppose that does mean that there is a slim chance that it could be Vericolor II right?

I must say though that the Vericolor III seems to store fairly well. I quite like it and am going to be disappointed when my stocks run out...
    Shooting film doesn't make me a hipster, it makes me someone who takes photos...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IIRC, if you open the wrapper it will say either on the backing paper or the removable paper wrap whether it is Vericolour I, II or III.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin