Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,112   Online: 878

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Crap. I just blew my whole color budget on film. Ten sheets just wasn't enough. 20 sheets, well hell, I figured I could blow that in one good day. So I got 30, which guarantees me at least a couple days of shooting.

After that though, I'm screwed.
    Three words: roll film back. Seriously. Modern film are so good you are unlikely to notice much difference unless you print very large, crop severely, or both. Roll film makes color affordable. Of course you can run into problems with having a short enough lens or even bring able to use it in some cameras if you do have it, but you can always carry a few holders for the shots that demand a wide angle and the shortest thing you have us a 90 or whatever.

I want to get back into RA4 but find drums a huge PITA so I hope I can do trays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sheet film is a helluva lot easier to print from. But I have recently done a number of CAII prints from a 6x9 rollfilm back using Ektar. Mixed
    results, but basically, much better image quality than using an actual MF camera, which is partially attributable to having a full complement of
    view camera movements available. ... but obviously not quite up to 4x5 neg quality. Pretty hard to detect the difference until you get up a
    20x24 or so print size, and even pushing your luck at that point, it still looks crisper than a 6x9 chrome would. Can't go into many details,
    though in certain instances I did resort to some conservative masking tricks. But yeah, it you need to soften the financial blow to the learning curve, this is a good way to do it. It is also a good approach if you want an affordable batch scan to preview the film images, and the reason for this is that you're far more likely to get a reasonably accurate look from an economical scan using roll film than much smaller
    35mm film. I've seen a helluva lot of misinformation about Ektar simply due to not recognizing this specific distinction. Likewise, you can
    cipher things out on a contact sheet a lot better with 120 roll film than with 35mm. Frankly, my favorite species of Ektar is 8x10 film... but
    at the price of that, I can't afford to gamble or experiment a lot. With 120 film, I can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can see that 4x5 or even larger would be a lot easier if you're doing masking. Since I've never done masking though I'll take the lack of dust problems in return for the film size any day.

I keep wondering why I bother with sheet film even in black and white anymore, for my personal work anyway, but there's just something about the view and that big negative.

I'd like to have a 6x9 back but happened to find a 6x7 one so that's what I shoot. That's fine - I'd most often end up cropping a 6x9 to 6x7 anyway. Maybe some day I'll get a 6x9 but since I don't have a graflok on my current camera it either has to be one of the Calumet under the GG styles or wait for another view camera anyway.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the comments. Damn, shoulda remembered I have roll film backs before I ordered. That's OK, I do love sheet film. With today's film costs the holders will get some use, I'm sure. I can probably even buy 120 locally.

Are you saying I can get Provia 400 in sheet film?? I haven't found any Fuji sheet film currently available, unless I order from Japan.

Ditto on the trays, Roger. I sure hope it works for me.

I've got an Epson 4990 which I barely know how to use. I suppose I can use that for evaluating the negs before printing, but I've only done straight scans of chromes. I don't have PS, but I do have GIMP. I don't really know how to use that either. I'm only inclined to learn the bare minimum of digital technology that I need to facilitate my analog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep. Great film when you want something more moderate (and realistic) than Ektar:

http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/det...-_-KOP4004510S

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I know about Portra but the guy at Freestyle successfully talked me out of buying any. But that isn't Provia. I originally planned to buy Portra 400 but decided that Portra 400 and RA4 might be too much of a shock to my system too soon. Although I look forward to doing less snappy and punchy prints that was possible (or practical) with Ilfochrome, I'm afraid a small part of me might be expecting that look. I thought Ektar would make a smoother transition so thats what I ordered today. Plus I wasn't able to find a whole lot about people using Porta for the kind of photography I do, though I am interested in trying it anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh since we were talking about RA4 I thought that was a typo. No, unfortunately not only is Provia 400 not available in sheets it has been discontinued in all sizes. There were a couple of threads here about it. Great film that I will miss a lot as it leaves no slide film on the market faster than 100 except for the (sometimes reported to be) problematic German 200 stuff. I continue to buy 35mm Provia 400 from remaining stock as I can afford.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now I understand the Fuji comment!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ahh....and having never shot Provia even when it was available, and having not bought any color materials in 5 years, I had forgotten Provia was slide film not negative!
    Drew must have meant Portra. I'm interested in hearing more about how the Portras (esp 400) work for printing outdoor non-portrait work. I am intrigued by them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, I knew what he meant so didn't even catch that and had to scroll back. Yeah certainly had to mean Portra.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin