Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,370   Online: 1021

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Ahh....and having never shot Provia even when it was available, and having not bought any color materials in 5 years, I had forgotten Provia was slide film not negative!
    Drew must have meant Portra. I'm interested in hearing more about how the Portras (esp 400) work for printing outdoor non-portrait work. I am intrigued by them.
    I didn't catch that just like Roger, I read "Portra400" hah! Anyway I think ektar100 would be a better bet for non-portraits and closer to slide, but feel free to experiment. Why don't you shoot 35mm and test it before jumping up.

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I really miss Ilfo Chrome Chemicals. A very kind gentleman sent me some from Greece but I am desparate for more. I have every thing from 8X10 to 20X24 inch paper and can't use it. Rats!! If anyone has some chems, let me know. Thanks, Don

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    I really miss Ilfo Chrome Chemicals. A very kind gentleman sent me some from Greece but I am desparate for more. I have every thing from 8X10 to 20X24 inch paper and can't use it. Rats!! If anyone has some chems, let me know. Thanks, Don
    Hey Don!

I feel that I've failed you....

It's finding the time to get up there that's tricky...

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Did I say Provia?? Well, I obviously meant Portra 400. Now you know how senile I am. I make these posts to quiet my mind between spurts of
    equipment sales, which hit hard intermittently all day long, and the flies are still usually buzzing around in my head in between. Occupational
    risk when you're multitasking. But yeah... Ektar is the way to go if you're accustomed to slides and Ciba. It's just way easier than Ciba once you learn its own personality. And to do that properly, just take it a step at a time, expose it correctly on location, and ignore 99% of the BS about it on the web, which is generally more related to someone having problems with their scanner than with the nature of the film itself. I started making a parallel transition to color neg work about a decade ago when I correctly ascertained that Ciba was on its way out. Of course, I knew how to do commercial quality RA4 work like portraiture all along; but getting it up into the league of Ciba quality and beyond had a significant learning curve, and even more, required the evolution of these products to advance further along. Now today, even if Ciba was still around and actually affordable, I wouldn't go back to it. But do expect to lose some money on the learning curve itself.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Has the jury come back on whether Arista RA-4 paper is Kodak or Fuji? I know the jury says the Arista RA-4 chemicals are very similar to Kodak in results

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I didn't catch that just like Roger, I read "Portra400" hah! Anyway I think ektar100 would be a better bet for non-portraits and closer to slide, but feel free to experiment. Why don't you shoot 35mm and test it before jumping up.

Since I picked up a 4x5 25-27 years ago I've never been able to get excited about 35mm, and don't have good 35 equipment anyway. I'll go with a mix of 4x5 and 120 while I learn the process. Its hard enough to see those with middle aged eyes!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There is a thread somewhere on that Arista question. It appears to be Fuji paper made in their US plant, but not quite the same thing as the
    official Fui label CAII. It might resemble the previous Super C product, which is only a stone's throw away from the latest thing anyway. All the CAII I'm using was made in Holland and packaged in the UK, and has a somewhat whiter base. The Fujiflex Supergloss is made in Japan.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

I miss color photography

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Since I picked up a 4x5 25-27 years ago I've never been able to get excited about 35mm, and don't have good 35 equipment anyway. I'll go with a mix of 4x5 and 120 while I learn the process. Its hard enough to see those with middle aged eyes!
    There's certain looks that get me excited about 35mm, often rare films that contain much grain but are pleasing, or just aren't available in other formats, for example this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383346390.038044.jpg 
Views:	3826 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	76265

Fuji Neopan400 EI 800 in pushed to 800 in Rodinal.

Or this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383346541.134289.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	76266

Kodak Double-X EI 200 but pushed to 400 in Rodinal

Anyway the point was simply that it could be a cheaper start. 120 will still be cheaper and easier to see so good idea

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a committed b+w addictbut still enjoy shooting the odd bit of colour every now and then. The results from Portra 400 in my pinhole camera were amazing-the guy at the lab was asking me how I did them! 35mm and MF are great but contacts from LF are definitely top of the pile IME [not to mention the trannies].
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The cat's meow for wonderful grain and lovely color was Agfachrome 1000, which was available in both 35mm and 120. Prior to that there was
    a remarkable grainy pre-E6 Agfachrome available in sheets which had an adjacent grain structure kinda like Autochrome. But it would pick up
    certain warm earthtones and true fluorescent algae and lichen colors in nature like no other color film since. The greens were muted. Another
    interesting but less color-accurate film was high speed Scotchchrome. Pixelization/Fauxtowhatever just doesn't have the same feel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin