Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,378   Online: 779

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm not inclined to argue with Ron who has forgotten more chemistry in the last week than I'll ever know. But I have never seen him say that in many threads on this. Here's a recent one
    http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i.../t-116809.html

I have squeezed PETE bottles right now with Ilfochrome chemicals in them that have completely almost remained airless 3 years. (I don't plan to use the chemicals, btw, and I have them stored in a bucket in case of a leak). I have also stored phenidone working solutions in them for over a year years and they worked fine. I used them for 15 years for Ilfochrome and never had anything go bad (I disposed of chems when they reach their stated lifespan)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'm not inclined to argue with Ron who has forgotten more chemistry in the last week than I'll ever know. But I have never seen him say that in many threads on this. Here's a recent one
    http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i.../t-116809.html

I have squeezed PETE bottles right now with Ilfochrome chemicals in them that have completely almost remained airless 3 years. (I don't plan to use the chemicals, btw, and I have them stored in a bucket in case of a leak). I have also stored phenidone working solutions in them for over a year years and they worked fine. I used them for 15 years for Ilfochrome and never had anything go bad (I disposed of chems when they reach their stated lifespan)
    Hmm too much work to find it. But I'm sure you did. Ah well perhaps "going bad" is relative, and I mean that, Ron perhaps is more persnickety on a chemical/technical quality level than just producing an image? Not sure, and I've re-used one shot chemistry up to 6 times that isn't supposed to be able to be done, so...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Have on hand an 81A filter for overcast skies, and maybe an 81C for deep blue shade.
    99% of my photography is under overcast skies or indirect blue sky. Do you think I'll want the 81A on all the time? Do you find these necessary for Portra too?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Portra is a little more forgiving in terms of color temp than Ektar, but has less contrast and saturation also. Portra is a little more in the direction of a classic color neg portrait film (esp in the slower speed version vs. 400 speed), so keeps warm neutrals looking warm, even when
    they really are not, i.e., it's engineered in favor of "pleasing" skintones at the expense of the accuracy of related hues in nature. I find the
    differentiation of yellow-oranges and rusty earthtones to be conspicuously more accurate in Ektar, for example. But it needs to be handled
    more carefully with respect to exposure. I really like Ektar for landscape work, but it's definitely not a film for portraits of acne-ridden teenageers! Think of it more of a substitute for chrome films, whenever you want a clean rendition of hues rather than a muted version.
    For my expensive sheet film work (esp 8x10) I always carry several corrective filter. For casual snapshooting like Ektar in my Nikon, I'll just
    leave an 81A on the lens on a rainy day, but remove it when the fog or mist has an essentially white "softbox" effect.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin