Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,538   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Provia 100F

Shooter
    35mm

Provia 100F

I use Fuji Provia 100 as my go to color film in all 7 of my Canon manual focus cameras. I have noticed that when I use Provia in my A-1 and F-1n cameras, the film tends to overexpose by about 1/2 stop in a bright sunlight situation. I haven't noticed it in my AE-1 or AV-1. Does anyone know if there has been a change in Provia 100? Any other comments? Thanks.Steve Walter

Shooter
    35mm
    As I understand it Fuji - Kodak and others too, will make formulation changes usually without making any announcements.
    Camera meter accuracy, scene lighting, metering and exposure modes can all contribute to variations in exposure. To verify, fill your viewfinder with a gray card with controlled light source and see if they all meter the same.

Shooter
    35mm
    I must admit that I haven't been using slide film on a regular basis for two years or so, but the first thing to do in an odd result like this would be to directly compare the meters in the cameras - probably with artificial light indoors so that it doesn't change during the metering session.

Of course there is no need to make any exposures when comparing the metering. If each camera meters precisely the same (unlikely!), or you have been using the same handheld meter for all the shots, then make/buy/borrow a shutter-speed tester and compare the indicated speeds with what you actually measure. On electronically timed shutters they should be pretty accurate and repeatable.

Other variables may be the processing the films have received (accidental small pull and/or push at different labs, or between different home-processed batches), or some metering being done with older light sensors that are more affected by colour-temperature of the light, or even a DX-sensor fault, or . . . ?? In any case, if the difference is consistent, then it would be possible to 'simply' make a compensation when you use the affected cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sounds like your internal meters(or shutter speeds on the gear train/transmission in the camera) are a bit slow. I'd be hesitant to call foul on the part of Fuji. More likely your lab(aforementioned "push process" by someone else), or a slightly slow shutter in-camera.

one word:

TEST

Another reason(if you can afford to do it) is to buy in bulk, and freeze until you consume(shoot) it. Not very hard to do, just convince yourself(or if you have a better half, them ) that you "NEED" a film freezer, and they can put the extra frozen veggies in there in case they need some room

-Dan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Your titles says Provia100F but in your post you say Provia100 ... two different films... are you perhaps using two different versions and that's causing it? as in you recently bought some Provia100f and you've BEEN using Provia100?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mlphotographer View Post
    I use Fuji Provia 100 as my go to color film in all 7 of my Canon manual focus cameras. I have noticed that when I use Provia in my A-1 and F-1n cameras, the film tends to overexpose by about 1/2 stop in a bright sunlight situation. I haven't noticed it in my AE-1 or AV-1. Does anyone know if there has been a change in Provia 100? Any other comments? Thanks.Steve Walter

Nothing to do with Provia 100F. These are quite old cameras you are speaking of and I suspect the meters are out of whack.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He means provia 100F. They don't make a version w/o the F.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    He means provia 100F. They don't make a version w/o the F.
    They DID....

"Provia 100F [RDP III] was developed to replace Provia 100 [RDP II] "

Wikipedia (I know not a GREAT source but legit enough).

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Not all cameras will meter the same scene exactly the same. (For several reasons) There are procedures to calibrate one camera against another by adjusting the ISO speed. This statement is valid as long as the difference is consistent. You could compare your cameras to a light meter by metering a gray card under a continuos non changing light source. The differences could be as small as 1/3 stop or as big as 1 stop or more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone, w/o reading into it we have to assume the op wouldn't be using film that's 15yrs past it's expiration date while expecting flawless results.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin