Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,984   Online: 842

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help w/ Chromega Print Drums

I picked up a Chromega 8x10 print drum recently. My Unicolor drum started to leak, and I hear the Chromegas are better built and use less chemistry. As it goes, the Chromega drum I got does in fact have a small leak. It's on the bottom cap and, strangely, it's not even at a seam. It seems to be leaking through the plastic itself. Is there an easy fix for this -- caulk or something?

Also, the Chromega drum has this centering ring which I'm unsure about. It seems to be used to keep it centered on the Chromega agitator. I wonder if I can use the drum, sans centering ring, on my Unicolor motor base. Or is there something magic about the Chromega agitator and centering ring that enables the magic "sine_wave action" that they tout?

Thanks.

Images
    Good Evening, bvy,

Neither of my Chromega drums has a centering ring; that's no particular problem as long as the motor base is level.

As far as I know, the plastic used for Chromega drums is softened by the common acetone-type cement used for constructing models. If you can locate the spot of the leak, it should be simple to "melt" the plastic back together or to patch it with a small bit of similar plastic. If the bad spot is indeed on the cap, the repair could be either internal or external without affecting functionality at all.

Konical

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. Good idea. The previous owner conveniently drew arrows pointing to the leak, and it looks like it's even been patched up before.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The sine wave action comes from the fact that the wheels on the agitator are not centered, so the drums rock back and forth as they rotate, causing the liquid inside to move left and right while the drum is turning.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin