Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,579   Online: 984

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kodak ektar 100

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The colors are really quite accurate. I've done many objective tests, and in general, they're more accurate than any other color neg film I've
    ever tested. But the look is more like a chrome. I've posted many times elsewhere on how to get the most out of this film. If you want more of a traditional lower-contrast Kodak color neg film, however, look at the Portra choices instead of Ektar. And frankly, 99% of the complaints I've
    encountered about this film on web posting have nothing to do with the film itself, and most of the time, simply with incompetent scanning.
    I personally print it myself in the darkroom, in every format from 35mm to 8x10 film, so don't have to worry about the scanning issues at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are 2 shots[or frames] from a roll of Ektar 100, both have same exposure and setting, i scanned both in different way to show how you can have 1 film in different post processing.

Ignore that color cast, it is either from CPL filter or something else
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img043.jpg   img042.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    ... One more postcript. Maybe Mustafa has issues with this film, but I personally regard it as one of the finest products Kodak has ever made.
    And the printing quality is wonderful. But like anything else, there is a learning curve to doing it well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here's an example taken with Ektar 100:

And another:

I think it offers very clean, saturated but not Velvia-psychedelic-grade color. I've been very happy with it and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replys. I will buy a roll for testing. I don't want anyone to get the densitometer out, or spend my photographic life indoors. In fact, i cant imagine anthing worse. I was just asking for a few personal experiences with the film before spending any money.

P.s. i have no idea how to read or use a desitometer graph.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Research? Conclusions? Why does every decision in life of late have to come with a scientific paper!?

OP, this guy would obviously prefer that you got the densitometer out and spent your photographic life indoors. I'm sure most others here, who actually enjoy making pictures, would suggest that you shoot some and come to a 'conclusion' with your eyes... and more to the point - do it while the film is still available. I've got a funny feeling Ektar is slowly slipping by the wayside.
    Scientific Paper because I asked for some background to the question? Obviously prefer Densitometers? Spend your life indoors?

Asking for background to a generic question is hardly any of the rubbish you have listed, so please keep your presumptuous and erroneous diatribe to yourself.
    Last edited by LJH; 11-05-2013 at 04:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry! I didn't mean to cause any upset.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alex millman View Post
    You certainly didn't; you just made it difficult to know what you wanted the film for, and what you expected from it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alex millman View Post
    This is how grumpy old men create excitement in their lives. You've only been here for 5 postings. Stick around and you'll get used to it... or you might even start participating in it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Buy 10 to start?

Dear Alex,

I love Ektar. However, machine prints often have a horrible cyan cast. If you are printing yourself, have a good print source, or plan to scan you will enjoy the film. Still, I would start with one brick instead of two.

Here are a few proof scans I made with my Minolda Dimage Scan Dual III with everything set to auto. (Let's see if I have figured out how to attach files.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mile 20 - 24.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	76499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mile 20 - 05.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	76500Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mile 20 - 13.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	76501

Neal Wydra

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin