Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,404   Online: 1061

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fuji Crystal Archive - Lustre vs Matte

I've been obsessing over this for a while now. I've been using Fuji Crystal Archive Type II paper, the Lustre finish, and it's nice, but I've found that I like the sheen and overall appearance of the Matte paper much better. (One APUG member was good enough to send me a few sheets to sample.) What I'm struggling with is that the Matte paper seems to be (and this is where I'm hoping someone experienced with these papers can help) less durable and more easily prone to damage, like small creases. It also seems to smudge more easily and perhaps not dry as cleanly as the Lustre. Can anyone comment? Regarding the first point, it almost feels like the Lustre paper might be slightly thicker than the Matte, but I can't really tell. Any help here would be appreciated.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am ignorant of these specific surfaces in this particular paper, but...having said that:

First: I highly doubt that the thickness quality of the matte would be manufactured to be inferior to that of the lustre. Are you, perhaps, seeing that the luster surface has a bit more 'tooth' and, thereby, come to the conclusion that it is 'thicker'?

Second: my personal choice for ALL paper, B&W or color, is matte. In the real world that hardly ever works out because I buy much used stuff and one has to take what one gets in the deal. But there is a certain richness of the matte surface that I find to have what I would call aesthetic depth. I know that the reflectance scale is less than that of the glossy but matte is NEVER difficult to look at (no reflections) and, at least to me, it imparts a solid neutrality that is satisfying. In B&W it reminds me of a charcoal drawing.

bvy: hold a 100 sheet box of each in different hands. You will soon tell whether one is thicker than the other. - David Lyga

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lustre feels slightly thicker to me, but I could be dreaming it. I don't have a 100 pack of both on hand to compare.

I agree about matte -- for both black and white and color, it's what I prefer. I'm questioning the durability of the matte versus the lustre. Does anyone have any experience with the matte being more easily damaged or blemished?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    bvy: hold a 100 sheet box of each in different hands. You will soon tell whether one is thicker than the other. - David Lyga
    With papers in general there is no strong relation between weight and thickness.as the density may vary.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't used the matte paper, but we just refer to the lustre as matte anyway, as everyone does when ordering prints. The lustre is a semi-matte, not a true colour matte paper. I know you can get Kodak Endura in a matte surface too.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin