Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,411   Online: 1101

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Film storage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I use the freezer for all my film storage.
    You have a walk-in freezer?
    And it's full of film?
    I have two large freezers with lots of film. One is on the East Coast and the other is one the West Coast.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You may want to use recyclable bags of desiccant inside the moisture-tight wrapping when you first wrap the film, and allow enough time to thoroughly dry the film inside BEFORE you either freeze it or refrigerate it. Similarly, when you remove the wrapped film from refrigeration, allow plenty of time (at least several hours) for the wrapping and film to come to room temperature before unwrapping. Without desiccant you run a double-risk of ice or moisture on the film both when freezing and thawing. I've tried freezing, but I found a 50-deg cool location the best, mostly from a convenience point-of-view, and no problems with moderately out-of-date film. Very long-term storage of film and paper might demand freezing. Military-surplus stores sometimes have inexpensive recyclable silica-type desiccant bags.
    [FONT="Arial"][/FONT]John Weinland

Shooter
    35mm
    alex millman, I would like to HIJACK your thread (please), but it is highly relevant to this thread:

Can anyone out there give definitive information as to whether storing in aluminum foil, shiny side out, (in addition, of course, to cold storage), helps alleviate age fog by deflecting non-visual energy rays? - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 11-18-2013 at 09:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, that won't help. You'd need lead. That's what I've read in previous threads concerning cosmic rays.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do not try this at home
    Put film in a wax in open field leave for over 100 years then developed. I read this one in the paper a few years ago with the photo.

I have use the cold storage and no cold both work for black and white when does it expire if ever may was just good luck The oldest I have use was over 20 years and not store right.
    The safe way is use the freezer in a box in a black bag.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    ...information as to whether storing in aluminum foil, shiny side out, (in addition, of course, to cold storage), helps alleviate age fog by deflecting non-visual energy rays?...
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    ...that won't help. You'd need lead...
    Lead won't help either. The only way to stop cosmic radiation from fogging film over time would be storing it a substantial distance underground. Abandoned mines have been used for this purpose.

Just make sure the mine you choose isn't surrounded by radioactive granite. Salt mines are good.

Here's a company that offers what you seek:

If you find out the cost for some refrigerated space in its Kansas City facility, please let us know what that is. I've always been afraid to ask, anticipating a huge number.

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe Kodak stores TMZ 3200 in salt mines. Now, that is reason for its being so expensive. (So, then, why is Delta 3200 a BETTER film?)

Just want to affirm wildbill: So, aluminum foil provides absolute NO PROTECTION WHATSOVER from cosmic rays? Anyone disagree or are all in accordance? - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    Remember the Disney flic, "The Strange Case of the Cosmic Rays"? In that cartoon, cosmic rays go through lead like its not there. No first hand experience though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is frozen that much better than say 36 degrees?

Have there been any studies?

I'm 62, if I get real lucky I live to 72, 82 or maybe 92. I have used lots of poorly stored film, by other people of course that is 30 years old and I found some of it pretty darn good!

Shooter
    35mm
    Randy, I am a year older than you and echo your sentiments. Some of the stuff simply refuses to go bad. The slower the better. My Panatomic-X is as new. - David Lyga

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin