Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,686   Online: 798

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Film storage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    I believe Kodak stores TMZ 3200 in salt mines...
    Tense correction -- "stored." TMZ was discontinued 13 months ago:

Any still in the retail pipeline today would probably be fogging nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    ...aluminum foil provides absolute NO PROTECTION WHATSOVER from cosmic rays?...
    None that would make a measurable difference in fogging of stored film. The "tinfoil hat brigade" might not agree, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In deference to David, it cannot be said that aluminum provides absolutely no protection. However, at roughly 1/5 the density of lead, the difference between aluminum and nothing is not readily measurable.

Shiny side in or out would not make a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aluminum foil may not protect you from cosmic rays, but if you make it into a hat, you can probably find lots of room for yourself on the bus.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Here's an earlier thread I had about issues with frozen film. I eventually had the negatives sent to Ilford for examination. The exact cause remains "inconclusive", however the best explanation was that freezing/defrosting - ie moisture - was the only likely potential cause. Since this issue first raised its head, I have witnessed enough of the problem that I would say that 35mm film shouldn't be frozen in its plastic canister ONLY - Im trashing all my film stored this way as its too unpredicable. Other rolls purchased at the same time and having gone through the same identical treatment, but remained in their cellophane and cardboard packaging of bricks of 10, appear to be fine.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not see any advantage, except for handling and may be odours, in applying a second casing next to those PE canisters for freezing film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Aluminum foil may not protect you from cosmic rays, but if you make it into a hat, you can probably find lots of room for yourself on the bus.
    Yes, aluminum foil makes an excellent hat.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    "Cosmic rays" are not electromagnetic radiation but particles. The higher energy ones pass through the entire planet, so a piece of sandwich foil really isn't going to help very much. The underground vaults mentioned also have a very constant temperature and humidity which probably reduces storage costs considerably.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin