Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,344   Online: 1180

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film storage

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film storage

What is the best way to store colour film?
    I have always used a fridge. I now have so much film it is starting to fill my walk in freezer. I have put it all in zip lock bags. The freezer is at -15. Am i storing it correctly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do the same: I buy all my film in bulk (100+ rolls per order), and package each brick in a suitably-sized Zip-lock. I have yet to have any issues. My freezer to use time is one day (erring on the side of caution is my policy). Once removed from freezer to use I generally don't refreeze;the unused portion of the brick in moved to the refrigerator (not sure if this is necessary, but, once again, caution to avoid potential problems - real or imagined).
    An assortment of F-series Nikons with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as I know, keep it frozen. What ever you take out, put the rest back in the freezer. It's not meat, so it's OK. I have some of my Dad's Minox film from 1987, and it's still fine!
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the freezer for all my film storage.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You have a walk-in freezer?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    And it's full of film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A walk-in freezer!?
    Long term storage of film in a deep freeze can induce embrittlement of the emulsion. Among other risks, when the film is released from the chilled environment, moisture can build up and mottle the emulsion. You really need to store it carefully and conscientiously and allow it the time to acclimatise to ambient temperatures. I store my own film at –20°C for long term (acknowledging the risks I mentioned) and at normal fridge temperature for short-term, go-to use.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i always allow a few hours to defrost before use. I then re-freeze what i don't use.

p.s. i could only imagine my freezer being full of film...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Long term storage of film in a deep freeze can induce embrittlement of the emulsion.
    Have you any references to this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Have you any references to this?
    I've heard him say it in the past but I've never heard of a case of brittle film nor experienced it myself with film (e6, b+w)that has been frozen for 20+ years. I'm sure there are exceptions but........where?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin