Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,775   Online: 758

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

RA-4 kits not available

I am a amateur using the Tetanal Colortec RA-4 for processing in the Jobo CPP-2. I am living in Hong Kong and used to get it from B&H Photo of the USA. However, the kit is no longer available in B&H photo. I tried to get it from somewhere else but found out that it cannot be sent overseas now, even available. The B&H photo guy advised me to get the Tetanl RA-4 Color Developer Starter. I am confused. Is the starter to be used with the developer replenisher instead of using alone. Please advice.

The place I am living is lack of chemicals for home processing. Is there any alternative. It seems that the airflight rule for chemicals has tightened as I still could get them shipped a few years ago. I do not want give up my own darkroom. It's sad.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Starter is an add-on to the replenisher to make original developer.
    A starter is not intended to be used alone to act as developer.

I'm surprised that you did not try to buy locally instead of having it sent from the USA.
    Fuji has an Office in Hong Kong. You may inquire there for their RA-4 chemicals.
    You might also try to buy chemicals from a minilab.
    Last edited by AgX; 11-21-2013 at 12:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, check the sticky thread here about color chemistry and where to get it. There should be somewhere more local, as mentioned.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Fuji-Hunt chem would probably be better quality anyway, and should be available worldwide.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Champion photocheimtry is available locally in Hong Kong.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

AJH

Shooter
    35mm
    And then why does B&H import Tetenal from Germany. While the dollar rate is not favourable at all.
    In Hong Kong one better tries to get it from Germany directly. Or buy locally.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Because Tetenal wants to do business in the US. It's that simple. But we have multiple suppliers for RA4 chemistry.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I think the major problem is the air flight regulation has tightened. Some ingredient in the developer is now considered hazardous. I could still get it 3 years ago, but now the Freestylephoto, Adorama and Firstcall in UK told me that they could not sent it outside country.
    Where can I find the place selling Champion or other chemistry in Hong Kong?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkauyong View Post
    I think the major problem is the air flight regulation has tightened. Some ingredient in the developer is now considered hazardous.
    Completely tangentially, I tried to get Kami scanning fluid from the USA to Aus. They wouldn't ship it, air or sea, because, well, it's practically petrol (gasoline) and rather explosive. They suggested I try get it from the factory in Germany. They'd sell it to me, but no sea shipping, all they would be able to do is to ship it *by air*, but not by courier, it'd count as unaccompanied baggage and I'd have to pick it up directly from the airport. I do hope that doesn't mean it would come in on a passenger plane, sounded rather counterintuitive. But I said no anyway because the fluid was $50, and they wanted €400 to ship it. Sigh. (long story short I found non-flammable Lumina fluid from Canadia.)</tangent>

In general, the problem with getting almost any chemicals this way is like Drew said, Tetenal want to do business in the US, so they've done the hard yards getting all the import approvals and whatnot, because the US is a big market. Doesn't mean they can easily re-ship it out without getting the same approvals.
    Even if you can't get the original chems from Germany, have you tried across the water in GuangZhou? There's a big market for everything there, somebody must have something (if not at least a ripoff), I'm sure you could take it back to HK on a train...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    They suggested I try get it from the factory in Germany. They'd sell it to me, but no sea shipping, all they would be able to do is to ship it *by air*, but not by courier, it'd count as unaccompanied baggage and I'd have to pick it up directly from the airport.
    Even german postal Service, which is DHL now, no longer offer surface transport for transcontinental mail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin