Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,447   Online: 780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Large Print Processing -- Ideas?

The largest print size I can process in my Dev-Tec drum is 20x24in. I have gotten it into my head that I would like to try making large prints, say 40x60in. I would likely have to construct appropriate processing equipment. Does anyone have any experience with this (materials, design, etc)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    some tips in these threads:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/google.ph...3079j739335j17

I hope you have a big darkroom.
    if you go the large tube/trough route, take a look at these. They could be used as is or cut in half to make large troughs with end caps.
    Last edited by wildbill; 11-22-2013 at 08:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was teaching at Pratt Institute one fellow had his class making 4' x 6' prints from paper rolls in the same darkroom where we made 16" x 20" prints as the largest. He gave me a tour of his set up. They had constructed what are best described as troughs made form clear acrylic sheets (Plexiglass). The troughs were, maybe, 54" by 18" by 18" if I remember correctly. The paper was tacked to the wall and a Beseler enlarger was set up to do horizontal projection. The paper was then rolled into a tube and put in the trough, where it was rolled and unrolled during development and so forth. I personally never used that set up, and didn't see it in action, but the prints were fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I can see how using troughs would be a good solution for large b&w prints, and maybe that's all I will do. I was also wondering about color, though, and how one would handle temperature control. Maybe just settle for room temp. development?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    john chiara has a utube vid of him processing very large prints ( col) in a huge drum
    i cant post the link but if you goggles him you will see it ..
    its not his website but U2B ...

havfun
    john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Since you've posted this in the color section, I assume you're referring to color printing. So you have to be conscious of unhealthy fumes, which would make a big open trough processor a bad option. You can use big sections of black ABS plastic irrigation to make your own processing drums. These can be loaded in the dark then even taken outside to a sidewalk or whatever and simply rolled back and forth. But with a bit of imagination, you can build a roller processor base using drive rods and a low RPM gearmotor. My own color drum processor handles up to 30X40,
    and is mounted onto a cart which I push outdoors during good weather.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Postscript - I did check that link to the polyethylene black tubes to replace Sonotube carboard cement tubes. The tricks would be how to make
    the light traps on the endcaps. Then you'd want to put a bright battery light inside the capped tube in a darkroom to see just how light tight
    this material actually is (as opposed to thick-walled ABS). My own tubes are made of noryl, which is a highly insulating but quite expensive
    thermoplastic. And it would be important that the endcaps themselves be gluable; otherwise it would be difficult to install secondary light baffles. I also helps to have shallow ridges glued inside the drums, so that rinse water can get behind the print, though you can rinse in a big
    tray afterwards if necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yeah Drew, I'm going to find out more about these. I found the product a year or so ago but haven't had time to act on it. The nice thing is a I can buy them locally for about $30 including the end caps. That's for the 8", the larger sizes aren't much more. http://www.menards.com/main/building...652.htm?page=3 If it doesn't work, they'd make one hell of a tripod case.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    One can get almost anything for a price. We have a big industrial plastics dealer around here who specializes in exotic chemical pipe. You name it, even big diameter teflon. But the price per foot would scare the fleas off every dog within a ten mile radius. Cellcore ABS is much cheaper, but quite heavy in big diameters. I've got Sonotube in stock here, but wouldn't trust that simple wax layer to protect the integrity of the tube for long; and pickling it with epoxy would probably unravel it too. So I'm not going to test that idea. The thing to do would see if those plastic substitutes for concrete tube will accept an ABS cap which can be altered to make a light-tight chem fill cap. I won't try this myself, because I've got enough working tubes for now already. But it sounds like a fairly easy and inexpensive way to do it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    48 x 96 inch black ABS sheet is available from U.S. Plastics. Glues with standard ABS pipe glue. Shipping from Lorain OH if I remember rightly so destination Chattanooga shouldn't be too unreasonable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin