Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,245   Online: 701

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    Just a little high speed cinematography mayhem with my brother and his giant air cannon, plus a junk shuffle alley he wanted to get rid of! Here's the d*g*t*l video - I'm still working through capturing the high speed 16mm stuff then I'll edit it up and put it all on YouTube:

http://backglass.org/duncan/burt_201...cannon_raw.mov
    http://backglass.org/duncan/burt_201308/pins_gopro.mov
    http://backglass.org/duncan/burt_201308/head_gopro.mov

Duncan
    Wow, how cool is that?. Every 12-year-old's fantasy come to fruition.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The scratches are similar to scratches I got on roll I had processed by a local lab this summer. The scratch wasn't real straight and wandered across multiple frames so I don't think it was a problem with the camera. To make matters worse, I could see what looked like water marks in the sky in a number of my images. Then to top it off, I asked the lab to make a CD scan of the slides and that turned out to be one of the worst scan jobs I've seen.

I mentioned the problems to the lab, but not sure if it did any good.

So on my last roll I decided to mail it off to Dwayne's and I was pleased with what I got back, but I would prefer to patronize my local lab.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You would think there would be a local processor in the Chicago area!
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricus.stormfire View Post
    just be glad you have a lab around that still does E6.......
    I am. But if all my time, effort and money in taking pictures is going to be wasted by bad processing, I'd really rather keep my memories by that other system which doesn't need a lab or darkroom.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Froboz: have you tried CSW in Chicago? (Lake and Damen)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimFox View Post
    Froboz: have you tried CSW in Chicago? (Lake and Damen)
    Ever since Helix shut down their Highland Park store (where I could drop off slides on my way to or from work nearby, and they would shuttle them down to Chicago and back) [and then they went totally out of business anyway], I have used CSW for my processing... many, many rolls of E6. They do a fine job, though to be honest their most recent work has been fairly dirty/dusty/watermark-y. The big problem is their staked slide mounts, which jam my autofeeder. So I've been trying other labs...

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The owner of the lab got back to me and very much wants to get to the bottom of it - I'll be sending him some of the slides back for inspection (and he's already given me a credit for future work greater than the amount I paid for this processing!) Impressive response.

I'll report back once there are any updates.

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Hopefully with that kind of customer service that they figure out what the problem is and fix it going forward.

BTW, when it comes to fixing badly handled film, results from the Nikonscan+Coolscan 9000 is nothing short of amazing . . .

Link to larger version -> Kodak 160VC-06-36 5K vs 9K ICE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's what freaked me out about this - my Coolscan 5000 and ICE usually take damaged film in stride, but this was too much even for it!

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Aha! Upon investigation of some slides I sent back, the lab discovered that they were actually some sort of drying marks on the film, not scratches. They wiped off when rubbed with a cotton glove. They suspect it may have occurred on the occasion of dumping and renewing their chemistry, since they don't just keep replenishing forever.

I'm going to take them up on their offer of free replacement processing of my next rolls, and fully expect to be happier with the results!

Duncan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin